Reiki is a Japanese healing therapy which promotes relaxation and stress reduction. It is based on the principle that unseen life energy flows through the body and can be tapped into by the healer using a “laying on of hands” type therapy. Reiki is a form of spiritual healing and treats the whole person, creating feelings of wellbeing, security and peace.
If you decide to book a Reiki session, you should source a qualified practitioner in your local neighbourhood and they will either have their own healing rooms or will visit your home for the session. Either way take the time to chat about Reiki and the likely structure to your session with the healer, as it’s important to build a rapport and understand exactly what to expect during your healing session.
What to expect from your Reiki session
The healing room of your Reiki practitioner will be a quiet space, with no chance of disturbances. If your healer is calling out to your home, they will likely bring a collapsible couch and some soothing music to create a similar kind of environment. You can anticipate your healing session will last from 20 to 90 minutes, so you should ensure you have the available time. Prior to starting the session your healer will spend a few minutes letting you know what to expect, you should provide any details about health conditions which might prevent you lying flat on your back or front at this time. You remain fully clothed throughout the treatment session and will most likely be lying on a treatment couch, although some healers prefer you to remain seated.
The healing session involves the healer placing hands upon various parts of your head and body, this is a light touch and you will not feel any pressure at all. If you have any injuries or wounds, the healer will likely focus upon these areas as well. Some Reiki healers don’t even touch their client’s body while performing their treatment.
It’s fairly typical to be quite tired after a Reiki session, but this is likely to be accompanied by a feeling of complete relaxation. Many people find Reiki an extremely comforting experience which helps them to remain centred.
You can browse our directory to find local Reiki practitioners in your area.
- Float away with flotation therapy - November 5, 2018
- How mastering the art of make-up can boost your self-esteem - November 5, 2018
- How colour therapy can improve your mood - November 5, 2018
- Three ways physiotherapy isn’t just for athletes - October 8, 2018
- Working unsociable hours? You could use a nutritionist - October 8, 2018
- How sound therapy could improve your quality of life - October 8, 2018
- Let’s hear it for our ears - September 10, 2018
- How a psychic medium can help you on the anniversary of a death - September 10, 2018
- What to expect from Reiki sessions - September 10, 2018
- Three signs that you’re overdue a manicure - August 9, 2018