A good night’s sleep can leave you feeling ready to take on the day and full of energy. But did you know that 30% of adults in the UK are sleep deprived? This can lead to lack of concentration and energy levels, but can also cause more serious mental and physical health issues.
If you’re looking for new and alternative ways to get a better night’s sleep, check out our top tips below:
Lavender is a well-known scent for sleep – whether spraying it on your pillows or using it in an essential oil diffuser, simply smelling this relaxing aroma can calm your nerves and your heart rate.
If you’re looking for a less floral scent, cedarwood also has sleep benefits. When smelt or absorbed into the skin, it triggers the release of melatonin, the body’s sleepy hormone!
Aromatherapy comes in many methods, but massage with these calming essential oils is a great combination to relax your muscles too. But professional aromatherapists can suggest a number of techniques to help you sleep.
Everyone knows that exercise releases serotonin. It’s a hormone that promotes happy feelings, which makes it ideal if stress is making it difficult to sleep. Plus, the physical exercise will wear you out and ready for bed!
Yoga is a great example of a relaxing and hard workout! Most classes also encourage relaxation and mindfulness techniques that can be used throughout the day and before you go to bed.
3. Counselling and therapy
Sometimes stress and anxiety can’t be solved by nice smells and working out. But there are plenty of ways to deal with this issue more intensely.
Therapies such as CBT or counselling can help talk through your problems and why negative feelings are affecting your emotional health and sleep.
Often at the end of the day, we think about what happened that day which can cause anxiety to rise and keep us awake. If you believe this has gotten out of control, then talking with a trained professional could be a more permanent solution.
If you’re looking for any of these services, check our directory to find help local to you.
- Get yourself back on track with a post-holiday detox therapy - February 14, 2019
- How a mind coach can help you feel like a better person - February 14, 2019
- The surprising benefits of acupuncture for your mind - February 12, 2019
- Top tips for better sleep - February 7, 2019
- Yoga can help with anxiety and low mood - February 7, 2019
- How to balance hormones the natural way - February 7, 2019
- 3 alternative therapies for a migraine - January 11, 2019
- A brief guide to eyebrow tinting - January 11, 2019
- What to do about post-holiday ‘heavy legs’ syndrome - December 21, 2018
- 3 benefits of yoga for Fibromyalgia sufferers - December 21, 2018