While most people are aware that different environments create different moods, many of us are unaware of how colour affects our wellbeing. Colour therapy, (sometimes called Chromotherapy), is a type of holistic healing that affects your mood, as well as mental and physical health. Colours have been shown to have specific properties that can be used to affect cells in our bodies.
Colour therapy is an ancient practice that has been revived in recent times as our understanding of the effects of colour have deepened. Ancient Chinese texts contain records of colour therapies and it was also practiced by the ancient Egyptians who built temples for healing and used crystals through which they shone sunlight.
Modern colour therapy uses light in the form of colour to work with the body’s energy centres or chakras. It is a gentle, non-invasive complementary therapy that can help with a wide range of health issues.
There are many associations with different colours. Below are some of the commonly accepted qualities connected with certain colours, and their uses in therapy.
Properties of different colours
RED – Energising, strengthening, motivating. Enhances: confidence, initiative, attention to detail. Used for: depression, pessimism, shyness.
ORANGE – Stimulating, revitalising, mind-opening. Enhances: inner strength, optimism, joy. Used for: unhappiness, grief, trauma.
YELLOW – Stimulating, uplifting, cleansing. Enhances: self-confidence, self-control, clear headedness. Used for: depression, fatigue, lack of confidence.
GREEN – Balancing, refreshing, harmonising. Enhances: responsibility, compassion, self-acceptance. Used for: anxiety, stress, confusion.
BLUE – Calming, steadying, clarifying. Enhances: relaxation, creativity, truthfulness. Used for: anger, insomnia, high blood pressure.
INDIGO – Wisdom, spirituality, inspiration. Enhances: understanding, intuition, peacefulness. Used for: anxiety, obsessiveness, psychoses.
PURPLE – Inspiration, imagination, perception. Enhances: empathy, sense of belonging, insight. Used for: fearfulness, obsessions, low self-esteem,
A session of colour therapy will leave you feeling relaxed and uplifted. It helps tackle problems in a gentle, yet empowering way, so that clients emerge feeling refreshed, renewed and with a strong sense of inner power.
Find a colour therapist near you
If you’d like to find out more about colour therapy why not check out our directory and find a practitioner near you.
- Three things you should do to prepare for getting a massage - July 15, 2019
- Reflexology during pregnancy – why you should go for it! - July 15, 2019
- 3 myths about using a personal trainer exposed - June 3, 2019
- How holistic therapy can help with chronic pain - June 3, 2019
- A nutritionist can help you gain weight the right way - May 14, 2019
- What are Australian Bush Flower Remedies and how can they help me? - May 13, 2019
- Cranial osteopathy in the treatment of anxiety and depression - April 11, 2019
- Three reasons to turn to a mobile massage service - March 26, 2019
- Meditation – a few of the benefits - March 26, 2019
- 3 Benefits of Yoga - March 4, 2019