If you suffer from anxiety and depression, then life can be incredibly difficult. Symptoms often include panic attacks, apprehension, palpitations and irritability. This can then also lead to physical issues such as digestive problems, heartburn, ulcers and abdominal cramps. You can also have problems sleeping. Anxiety and depression affect the entire body. One form of treatment that can help those with anxiety or depression is cranial osteopathy.
What is cranial osteopathy?
This is a gentle therapy that is carried out by a qualified osteopath.
The practitioner applies gentle pressure via massage to the head on the cranial nerves, to create a sense of balance and calm within the body by targeting the body’s involuntary mechanisms. This type of cranial massage targets the parasympathetic nervous system, which can install a sense of calm and wellbeing.
Osteopathy and depression
Cranial osteopathy can help relieve any pain and tightness in the body. It is particularly useful in helping to relieve tight muscles, helping you to relax and sleep. This, in turn, can resolve anxiety and depression, as the body feels balanced and pain-free.
The process of cranial osteopathy
The practitioner will use slight pressure on the scalp with their hands. The treatment is not painful, not uncomfortable and the practitioner will tell you what they are doing at all times. It should be a pleasurable experience. You may feel a slight sensation, but it should feel relaxing and very much like a standard massage session.
During your session
A full medical history will be taken as well as asking about any previous physical injuries. You will be asked to lie down in a comfortable position, looking upwards. You don’t need to remove any clothing, although loose clothing may feel more comfortable. A typical first session will last between 45 minutes and an hour.
How many sessions are needed?
Every individual is different, so it is difficult to state how many sessions will be needed when treating anxiety and depression. This is something to be discussed with your practitioner. Very often, cranial osteopathy for the treatment of anxiety is combined with hypnotherapy and relaxation.
If you are wanting to find a local cranial osteopath, then please do browse our therapies directory.
- Cranial osteopathy in the treatment of anxiety and depression - April 11, 2019
- Three reasons to turn to a mobile massage service - March 26, 2019
- Meditation – a few of the benefits - March 26, 2019
- 3 Benefits of Yoga - March 4, 2019
- 5 Top Benefits of Baby Massage - March 4, 2019
- 3 Alternative Treatments for Anxiety - March 4, 2019
- Get yourself back on track with a post-holiday detox therapy - February 14, 2019
- How a mind coach can help you feel like a better person - February 14, 2019
- The surprising benefits of acupuncture for your mind - February 12, 2019
- Top tips for better sleep - February 7, 2019