Healthypages

Women in the early Christian church and the ordination of women bishops

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Principled, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Chavah

Chavah New Member

Haha . You made me laugh. I am a woman too. I would never answer a call to be a lady pastor because I know what we are like. It's really too much of a responsibility for a woman to take on. And ruine the marriage as well. I belive, everybody must know their place in the body of Christ where God wants them to be.

Leading a church as an ordained pastor is not measured out for a woman. Until the Lord Jesus Christ himself convince me otherwise, I stick with what I have been taught so far for the last 21 years.

2. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

You do a disservice to women around the world by putting yourself down so much. (and yes, women can be sexist about women too, so the fact you're a woman makes no difference)
    You have chosen to be subservient to men because of what you have been taught, though women worldwide have proven that women are just as capable of doing most of the things that men can do (there will always be some things men can do that women can't and visa versa), so you would rather believe what some sexist men have taught you than what is truly shown throughout the world by woman who have shown that genders are equal.

So, what are you like?

If you're going to wait for Jesus Christ to convince you otherwise, I suspect you'll be waiting a long time; the dead are not very talkative.

3. Charis

Charis Active Member

Dear Chavah,

Your convictions are deep and sincere and you have every right to feel that way about yourself — that you couldn't and wouldn't be a female pastor and that God would not call you to do this. But please remember there are and have been many other women, throughout history and today, who have been just as deeply and sincerely convinced that God HAS called them to be an ordained pastor or leader within the church and that this truly is His will for them. You do not speak for all women — none of us do — and you cannot say on someone else's behalf (nor can I or anyone else) what God has or has not called that person to do, even if you personally don't agree with their conviction.

I shared earlier in this thread how a deeper look into history can reveal facts about women's leadership in Christianity that have long been deliberately buried or written out of history books — including early Christian groups who held female prophets as equal to male ones, and women being ordained in the medieval church: http://www.healthypages.com/communi...ion-of-women-bishops.83322/page-3#post-709988 It's a topic worth thinking about.

Love to all,

Charis

3 people like this.
  4. Chavah

Chavah New Member

Hi again...
    Thank you for your characteristic answers and strong opinions alone this topic.

I hear new names about myself, like sexist, and feel rather uneasy expressing my thought here.

I think, it's feels like, I just got smacked by a stranger, who thinks, men convinced and taught me to mind traditional things, originally prescribed from the beginning for woman. Well, this is not true. It was God the Holy Spirit gave some good life lesson and taught me.

Sin came into the world because the woman got deceived and the man willfully followed her, after his own heart. That is why God said, man is the first one who was made to rule. And the woman was formed from man for him.

God is the creator of order and stability. Women was not meant to be the first under Christ to give an account or lead as a pastor directly under the head of Christ.

God wanted to protect the woman, by saying to Eva, that your desire will be your husband and he will rule over you.

Men is accountable to Christ and God directly about their life, call ect. Woman is protected by the men's responsible action in discretely instructing, correcting, teaching woman and as per say the church, so men would not put to shame again like in the garden at the beginning.

It's for protection against God's judgment that women is called to mind things that is safer for them to be engaged in and not to get deceived again and ruin things.

God also knew, what men, Adam was capable of. Remember, he was so intelligent, he named all of the animals. How many we can memorise by name. Did Eva ever asked to look after the field or name the animals, or had her name called by the Lord in the garden?

She was made for her husband. So what Adam liked Eva to do around the field or in the garden, that was she supposed to be busy with. I don't think anything is wrong, to have Godly fear obeying God's solutions for mankind.

Obedience is the very best way to show that you believe the person and authority and almighty God, who set up the universal laws according to His wisdom and placed men and women into rolls to serve Him and bring glory to Him.

I don't think women misses out or unequal in anyway to men in responsibility or duties of leadership capacities.

But the Lord God walked in the garden and called Adam...

Please ,remeber, I didn't 'name call' you in my answers nor ridiculed your views neither used sarcasm. You are free to obey God according to your own wisdom.

Please, show respect by writing your answers to everyone in a polite manner as you were taught once in kindergarten. Thank you.

5. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

Chavah,

I am not calling you names. Being sexist is an attitude, not a name, and in this day and age, saying that women are a lesser gender than men, or that men are somehow superior, is a sexist attitude. The words you speak of men ruling over women IS a sexist attitude, whether you want to believe it or not; so it's not about what you ARE, it's about the attitude you are sharing. And, for the record, I do discuss things in a polite manner, but topics are allows to be debated with strong words if they are justified. I cannot help if people misinterpret such things as 'name calling' when they are not.

God and spirit did not teach you these things (unless you really are talking directly to God, in which case many people would probably like to get in touch with you), the teachings come from teachers who supposedly pass on these things, yet those teacher are influenced down the line by their teachers etc. and along those lines society has passed through many periods where men have suppressed women, so it is inevitable that the teachings are influenced by those sexist attitudes.

I think history tells another story. If woman haven't been missing out, why has there been so much in history where women have had to fight for their rights to equality.

It is the same religious attitude that has, terribly, led to some religious groups believing that woman should be suppressed to the point that they are just object to be abused. This is never right, and certainly would not be the way of a God who purports to love all of humanity and all creatures. All of the 'justifications' you give, are just man created biased teachings.

As a man, I would never choose to treat a woman as a lesser being.

5 people like this.
  6. Tashanie

Tashanie Well-Known Member

The Old testament talks very often about women being in positions of authority. Read Judges. And there is good evidence that women had equal authority in the early church. (Although probably not evidence that you would accept) I do not believe a loving God would create two unequal sexes. I do not see myself subservient to men in any way, and have happily received the sacrament at the hands of a female member of the clergy.

5 people like this.