Healthypages

Weekly meetings - Sufi Order (UK)

Discussion in 'Sufism' started by sunanda, Apr 23, 2007.

1. sunanda

sunanda New Member

RE: Weekly meetings - Sufi Order (UK)

Just a quick by-the-by: your darned link, V! - which in my VHO is nothing like Eklutna's pic:D - has stretched the width of the page which I HATE!!!![​IMG]
    Well, you know what I mean!:D

Eklutna - yes, we've been around this forum for years (well most of us have!) and some of us have met. This is a lovely forum, perhaps a tad addictive, sometimes a trifle boring, but I for one have learned a lot here - and made some good friends, both cyber and real. The interesting thing is that we all come from different backgrounds and traditions: I for one have learned and continue to learn a lot from HP.
    I would echo Judy in hoping you will stay around.

With love
    Sunanda x

PS I would be happy to share more of my back pages but it's bedtime for me now so will leave it till tomorrow.

Edited to note that my post has taken us onto a new page which is no longer stretched. Well fancy that!:)

2. Venetian

Venetian Active Member

I haven't seen the end of page 1. An email link brought me right here.

Sunanda, I was trying to stretch your mind, you know!

3. Eklutna

Eklutna New Member

Heavens, we're not getting testy here, are we? I suppose I should realize it's the middle of the night for you guys, while it's only ten o'clock for me. I've been participating in various forums for years, and it's always miserable when things disintegrate. For some time, I've wanted to belong to one where people talk about these things without pomposity, competitiveness and narrowmindedness, as so often happens. So--Sundana, I think I can imagine why you say that picture is nothing like mine...yet I can also see why Venetian says it is; but even more, I had a feeling Venetian was trying to tell us something in including that link. Is this possible, V.? I've noticed that you are rather careful not to name your teacher(s), while some of us are pretty open.... and obviously, we can all do what we want, but I did notice it. Anyway, I'm having a good time hanging out with you all, and I hope it continues.

I remember, years ago when the Internet sort of came into popular use, there were a few academic papers by transpersonal psychologists on the meaning of the Internet as a vehicle for communication through pure spirit, and I really like that idea. It also seems to me that it's a great leveler, and I like, for instance, doing a blog that will find it's way without charge to the people who will resonate to it. If you ever wade through the whole thing, God help you, I cover all kinds of ground, from the sublime to the mundane, and that's satisfying, too. And in places like this one, I like that we can speak to each other without the added trappings of body language, social standards, etc. ... I find that this can lead to all kinds of misunderstandings and misconceptions, yet I've noticed that when the topic is a deeply spiritual one, that happens less. This confirms, for me, that there is a guidance, a direction, in it all.

Blessings,
    Amidha aka Eklutna (ooh, brave, but if you're looking at my blog you already know that)

4. Venetian

Venetian Active Member

Hi Eluktna,

Morning here. Just a quick note to clarify. As Sunanda says, some on HP have met each other. As such - it's not the first time this has happened - we can type things to each other, and to others, which the "outside" reader might misunderstand. We're not being testy, honest. :DIt's just Brit, or some kind, of humour as you can openly fling it across the ethers to someone you know. It's just friends poking each other in the ribs. ;)

It was a bit strange, but also nice: earlier this year Sunanda and I were both in India at the same time. Slightly bizarre as we were more miles apart than we are while living in the UK, but we could keep in touch on Indian matters here on HP.

Sorry about the stretching, Sunanda! It didn't happen with me in fact, but yes! - what a pain to try to read text when that happens. LOL, I had to point out to a friend that his new website all did that for most readers!

V

5. oakapple

oakapple New Member

Found a Sufi group in Chichester and will be attending regular meetings, all being well.....all that , dancing and singing....and maybe spirituality thrown in for good measure.....and there is people there I already know

Oakapple xx​

6. sunanda

sunanda New Member

I hope you'll keep us posted as to how you get on with the Sufis, oakapple. I'm afraid I haven't felt moved to return to my meetings: I'm always too tired and the weather is too nasty (though for two weeks, the weather was too nice! LOL) I was put off too by the length and timing of the meetings: 6.30 to 9.15 with no break is a bit of an endurance test for me!

Have fun!

Love
    Sunanda xxx

7. oakapple

oakapple New Member

Sorry to hear that sunanda, It did seem rather a long meeting.Maybe I might inspire you to return to your Sufi meetings in the future.......My teacher at the Kabbalah meditation already attends the Sufi meetings.....she is Jewish Sufi, and is teaching us the hebrew letters and words of the Kabbalah. We also touches on the history.....She is of Australian decent, and works with Aboriginal tribes women, exploring......Dreamtime....when she visits her homeland.............infact she has just returned from a visit...I'll have to ask about those experiences as well...hehehe

I'll keep you posted

Much Love

Oakapple xx​

8. Anatharel

Anatharel New Member

sufi group in London

Hi,

I'm looking for a Sufi group in London ( with dancing, chanting ). It's not possible for me to be on 3 hours meetings in Monday at Golden Sufi. As far I read your messages in forum I would like to know taht maybe you can recomand me a Sufi Group in London. That will be my first contact with Sufism ( I'm a Yoga Kundalini Teacher ) and it's important for me to find my self in right and real practice. I will be gratefull for information

with Love and Peace

Anatharel

9. Jumping Dog

Jumping Dog New Member

Hi

UK Network of Dances of Universal Peace is on the link a couple of posts ago -
    www.dancesofuniversalpeace.org.uk If you go to the "Regular Events" link on the left side of the home page, this gives details of groups around the country. The "Workshops" link also gives details of 1-off events, some with a Sufi theme.

The dances are lovely and I've been doing them for 6 years as a dancer and 2 years as a leader. They are a form of meditation or embodied prayer as I like to call it. Sacred phrases are sung while doing simple movements in a circle (like walking or turning) and as each phrase is repeated, you can go deeper into the experience whatever that might be for you. Some of us are Sufis and some of us are Christians, Buddhists, Jewish people, earth or celtic, or profess no religion. There isn't a fixed philosophy, it is open to all. New people are always welcome.

I suggest if you are interested that you go along to a group or workshop and see how it makes you feel. I started by going on a weekend and was blown away. It took another year for me to be in a place where I wanted to do it again and so I did and then started to go for several weekends a year, to the stage now where I practice almost every day.

You could also browse youtube for Dances of Universal Peace, although watching people on a PC screen doing the dances is always a bit bizarre - and not half as nice as being there dancing!

Love & light
    Jumping Dog (that's not my spiritual name.)