Healthypages

We can say “NO” to swine flu – any flu

Discussion in 'General – Faiths' started by Principled, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Principled

Principled Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Did you know that influenza is Italian for “influence” ? Are we going to let ourselves be influenced through fear into sickness?

First of all, a couple of medical-related stories that are worth reading:

What’s Making Us Sick Is an Epidemic of Diagnoses

For most Americans, the biggest health threat is not avian flu, West Nile or mad cow disease….

Nocebo and nocebo effect

Ever since I had an instantaneous healing during a flu epidemic when I was a child, I have been able to see the powerlessness of this influence of fear (which is what contagion is) and have had many many more healings, normally as soon as the symptoms try to get a hold in my thinking.

Mary Baker Eddy describes this mental influence many times:

The press unwittingly sends forth many sorrows and diseases among the human family. It does this by giving names to diseases and by printing long descriptions which mirror images of disease distinctly in thought. A new name for an ailment affects people like a Parisian name for a novel garment. Every one hastens to get it. A minutely described disease costs many a man his earthly days of comfort. What a price for human knowledge! (Science and Health 196)

We weep because others weep, we yawn because they yawn, and we have smallpox because others have it; but mortal mind, not matter, contains and carries the infection. When this mental contagion is understood, we shall be more careful of our mental conditions, and we shall avoid loquacious tattling about disease, as we would avoid advocating crime. Neither sympathy nor society should ever tempt us to cherish error in any form, and certainly we should not be error's advocate.

Disease arises, like other mental conditions, from association. Since it is a law of mortal mind that certain diseases should be regarded as contagious, this law obtains credit through association,--calling up the fear that creates the image of disease and its consequent manifestation in the body.

This fact in metaphysics is illustrated by the following incident: A man was made to believe that he occupied a bed where a cholera patient had died. Immediately the symptoms of this disease appeared, and the man died. The fact was, that he had not caught the cholera by material contact, because no cholera patient had been in that bed. (Science and Health 153)

We do have a choice. We are not helpless victims.

And now, here are a few metaphysical answers from www.spirituality.com about how to protect our thinking against these impositions.
    The first is an audio chat you can listen to:

Sickness for sale: don't buy it!

..The purpose of our discussion isn’t to criticize medical professionals or particular medications. What we really want to accomplish here is to talk about the times when a disease is represented so often and so vividly that it can give the impression that sickness is inevitable or inescapable, and how to guard your thoughts in those cases.

Safe from plagues

We need to recognize and be alert to current postulations. Epidemiologists contend the world is awash in plagues: HIV-AIDS, West Nile Fever, SARS (respiratory infection), the current cholera epidemic in Southern Africa, as well as various visitations of influenza, which according to the Communicable Disease Center in Atlanta affects 5 to 20 percent of the American population each year, and leads to about 36,000 deaths a year.

Jolted by these statistics, I could see that protective prayer is a priority. And Christian Science teaches that when we’re confronted with the fear of disease or epidemic, it’s possible to address such medical prognostications and find immunity in a growing understanding of God, who is the all-knowing divine Mind.

Safe 'in the secret place'

It has always interested me that flu, influenza (Italian for “influence”), got its name because it was thought the disease was influenced by the stars. While I don’t feel influenced by stars, this makes me ask, What is influencing me? Are news stories of an avian or bird flu pandemic convincing me that a pandemic of some kind cannot be prevented? That it is preordained?

We do have a choice. We are not helpless victims. God, Spirit, is the only real power.

Love and peace,

Judy

#1 Principled, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
  2. Rosi1

Rosi1 New Member

Wise words!

My mantra "I am healthy, whole and complete"

3. Caroline Putus3

Caroline Putus3 New Member

Dear Principled

How I agree with everything in your post! Fear of dis-ease is one way our political masters and the establishment keep control of us, and very effective it is too. Of course people's mindset and beliefs affect their susceptibility to illness, as thought is energy ;).

Thankfully, we have the energy therapies like homoeopathy, healing and acupuncture to deal with infectious dis-ease. To give an example, my 20 year old son is at university in London (germy place!) and has been getting very tired working extremely hard to finish his dissertation and final essays. Last week he phoned me to say he felt generally extremely ill and had a desperately sore throat to the extent of being unable to eat, huge tonsils, and glands swollen in neck, armpit and groin. The doctor provisionally diagnosed glandular fever. I am a homoeopath and prescribed on his symptoms. One day after starting the prescribed homeopathic remedy, he felt almost completely back to normal: glands down, sore throat and malaise 95% better.

We will all be ready and waiting to help people if "Swine Flu" takes hold.

Caroline :)

4. Principled

Thanks Rosie and Caroline - and welcome to HP Caroline! Great about your son. :)

Interestingly, Mary Baker Eddy (whose works I am a student of) started on the road to metaphysical healing through her experiments with homeopathy where she saw how our beliefs influences our bodies.

Love and peace,

Judy

5. caveman

caveman Well-Known Member

essentially mind over matter :)

6. Principled

Or even divine Mind over matter ? ;)

A few years ago, I came across a book that was a compilation of Christian Scientists’ experiences during World War 1 and as I scanned through, towards the end, I came across one after another testimonies of healing of what people called Spanish ‘Flu. I must admit I questioned why anyone thought it was so important to keep talking about healings of flu – after all, I’ve had so many in my own life, often instantaneous, but more often have been able to protect myself from the various colds and flu that go around, through mentally challenging the symptoms the minute they try to take hold of my thinking. What we don’t allow in, we don’t have to struggle to get out!

Later, I read an article in a Sunday colour supplement about the Spanish ‘Flu which swept through the world in 1918 immediately after the war and which killed 10 million people. It particularly swept through the barracks of servicemen, who having survived the horrors of that war, tragically then succumbed to this dreaded epidemic.

After reading that article, I realised how significant those testimonies of healing through prayer had been, especially where, like in one case, a soldier fell ill on board a crowded troop ship. The Christian Science Minister on board prayed with the understanding of the immutable laws of God and not only did the soldier recover quickly, but not one other person contracted the disease. This is often the case in contagion where it is halted with the understanding of the All-ness of God, good and that happened again and again in 1918.

In that compilation of wartime experiences, I also read about how Christian Scientists helped out in military and civilian hospitals because the pandemic had taken such a toll on the medical staff, quite apart from the huge numbers of patients. Even when places were in quarantine, these volunteers were content to not be able to go home for weeks and (to medical thought) put themselves in danger, in order to help. There are many letters of appreciation from the medical staff.

In the military camps, there were Christian Science Chaplains as well as Camp Welfare Workers who were there to pray for whoever wanted their help, as well as assisting in many other ways.

Here are a couple of snippets from 1918:
    I’m writing this to reassure everyone that you are not helpless victims of chance – you do have a choice. The most effective antidote I know to all disease is the understanding that there is a higher law than the so-called “laws” of matter, or of medical theories.

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (John 8)

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
    (Romans 8)

Here, in an article I often go back to on www.spirituality.com, the practitioner describes the healing of one of his patients of Lyme Disease – something much feared in the US:

Getting below the surface
    The only antidote applied in my friend’s case was scientific prayer, or Christian Science treatment, and it was effective. He rapidly regained the use of his limbs, the pain abated and he was restored to normalcy.

The same law that was applied to neutralize Lyme disease can be applied to avert and correct chaos of any nature, including the fear of a transcontinental bird flu (or swine) virus.

Love and peace,

Judy

7. caveman

caveman Well-Known Member

Very interesting Judy, thanks

8. Reiki Pixie

Reiki Pixie New Member

A topic of conversation in my Tai Chi class tonight was about fear-mongering and the media about this swine flu. I'm starting to think that this is good for the potential big profits for big pharm. I don't think the size, density and pollution of Mexico City helps the situation.

As for mind over matter, why not mind within matter! Is there a difference between mind and matter? Is such categorisation an illusion? If seeing though this illusion, we can wish to be well and whole (holy).

RP

9. kcatdeejay

kcatdeejay Member

Total Agreement

The news idiots have to have something to fill time on the air. If you gave them something worthwhile to report on, they would be speechless. Is the Bubonic Plague heading for on encore production? Sensationalism is all they have to sell, and sell they will !!

kcat

10. kcatdeejay

kcatdeejay Member

Big Pharma is already gearing up for the never-ending chariot ride to bigger profits.

11. myarka

myarka New Member

..... and you don't think the suppliment industry is going to cash in as well?

Myarka

12. Venetian

Venetian Active Member

That's a good point, and despite our belief in complementary medicine, I'm sure many wild, wacky, and simply useless 'protections' will get offered. The same thing happened in 1918, some people ponging with all sorts of lotions and ointments applied on them.

V

13. Reiki Pixie

Reiki Pixie New Member

Yes, Myarka has made a valid point. I think we all have to be aware of consumerism, whether conventional or complementary/alternative.

I have already received a commercial email about a book by a Jayney Goddard, consisting of alternative advice about remedies for Bird/Swine Flu. I not saying this is right or wrong, but where do we draw the line between informed advice and making a profit?

RP

14. Binah

Binah Moderator

Scaremongering or not, I think the WHO would not raise this alarm unnecessarily. However, there is no need to go into fear mode and if you do there are plenty of effective remedies around to help us out for example Mimulus a bach flower remedy is a good one. I do agree that the power of thought, be it by prayer, intention, focus can work miracles. I took a look yesterday at Marianne Williamson's site and she had this to say very short, very effective.

http://www.mwblog.com/journal/archives/2009/04/pray_away_the_s.php

Don't get me wrong, as good plain common sense advice like hand washing care is very effective. I notice in the PCT's this year they are awash with adverts reminding the staff to wash their hands.

Love Binah
    xx

15. kcatdeejay

kcatdeejay Member

I'll stick with what Philip Day and Dr's Mercola and Douglass have to say about the 'pandemic'-a healthy dose of what the news media is spreading around would do wonders for your plants and foliage.

kcat

16. myarka

myarka New Member

Why?

Surely that's what they'd say because they are anti-medicine?

But between them and the big Pharma, the truth might be found somewhere.

Myarka.

17. Principled

Hi everyone,

A few years ago, I was horrified to read an article about how scientists had predicted the return of the Spanish Flu (that I wrote about above) and actually dug up some bodies that had been quickly buried in the permafrost somewhere in Scandinavia in order to try to find an antidote. Some would say that this is sensible. However, they do not understand how our beliefs and fears can be objectified on our bodies. This virus has since been man-manufactured and work is going on for an antidote.

Have you ever noticed though, that despite the tremendous andvances in medical technology etc, there are not less diseases? Treating the symptoms is back-to-front to my understanding.

Thanks Binah for the link to Marianne Williamson. It’s so good that we are all singing from the same songbook. :)

I agree. The belief of dis-ease IS the disease.

But I would say that rather than “wishing” to be well and whole, we should understand that in spiritual reality (which is actually the ONLY reality – everything else is illusion) we always have been and always will be, well and whole, perfect and complete, the idea of the infinite Mind, God.

I totally agree that it is wise to follow sensible hygiene procedures, which will help calm other’s fears most of all, but what I am talking about on this thread is an awesome power (far, far higher than mere positive thinking which only uses the human mind) that most people are totally unaware of and which the rabbi on the thread God is universal felt and proved so decisively, and which not only cured his father, who was dying of terminal cancer (in under a week) but which transformed his life and understanding of God.

As Mary Baker Eddy wrote in the Preface to Science and Health:

Many imagine that the phenomena of physical healing in Christian Science present only a phase of the action of the human mind, which action in some unexplained way results in the cure of disease. On the contrary, Christian Science rationally explains that all other pathological methods are the fruits of human faith in matter,--faith in the workings, not of Spirit, but of the fleshly mind which must yield to Science.

The physical healing of Christian Science results now, as in Jesus' time, from the operation of divine Principle, before which sin and disease lose their reality in human consciousness and disappear as naturally and as necessarily as darkness gives place to light and sin to reformation.

As I said above, Jesus promised us:

Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free. (John 8)

And the great news is that:

Truth has a healing effect, even when not fully understood. (Science and Health 152)

Like with the rabbi, this woman too discovered the immense power of Truth when it was needed (and even though she did not understand it fully):
    To read the rest of this awesome healing:

http://www.healthypages.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=79017&postcount=19

What I’m saying is that we can help heal the world of this fear (which will also rid it of the belief of disease).

Love and peace,

Judy

18. myarka

myarka New Member

The answer to that question is fairly straight forward and is in 2 parts:

- Life expectancy in the western world has has increased from about 48 a hundred years ago to somewhere around 80 today. For example the most common cause of death for the 50-64 age group is cancer (National Statistics). Therefore with people living longer, they are exposed to a greater veriety of diseases.

- Many pathogens evolve much faster than other organisms and therefore are able to adapt to their environment and build resistance to drugs.

I don't believe there is a spiritual element in the cause of diseases but it is more to do with the natural order of organisms. This natural order can either be contributed or interfered with by the hands of man.

The big pharma spend most of their R&D budget dealing with diseases that effect the developed world because there is greater return. Through over consumption the world supports a system of unfair trade where the developing world cannot compete and are therefore left to starve and become victims of disease.

IMO When people degrade disease to a spiritual matter, they are in fact sitting in judgement over the world's starving who have no access to health services.

Perhaps I'm lucky being in my 50th year and never suffered from flu, but I think it's more to do with where I was born. That I can't change, but I can use my voice for those who don't have access to the internet, those who are denied the right of life because of the west's over consumption. Perhaps one day we might realise that all human life is equally important, and that is the greatest spiritual enlightenment.

We all know the "good samaritan" story, but when it comes to providing health care equally for all men, we walk on the other side of the road.

Myarka

19. Venetian

Venetian Active Member

I have no idea about your religious beliefs or orientation, if any, but would point out that this is very contrary to the point of view of the protagonist of the Gospels.

I don't mean to be religious here :), but rather to point out that many saints and sages of both West and East have, in the opinion of many, displayed a practical use of spiritual (/mental) forces, resulting in healing being exerted.

True, given the supposed 'realities' of this physical world as we know it or see it, dis-ease appears to have a material basis. But the point is that ultimately the basis of everything - of matter itself - is from beyond time and space. I do think that, again, given the supposed 'realities' of the world we see 'appearing' around us, since we are not all saints and sages (yet), practical measures are also absolutely required for sure, and we shouldn't be too otherworldly.

For the healing of both self and world, a two-pronged approach is necessary IMHO, combining practical measures with the introduction of spiritual measures. And ultimately, no "battle" in the physical world, such as the fight against dis-ease just as one example, can ever be won by meeting it on it own illusory terms. That's meeting maya with maya. So maya wins, and dis-ease along with other global or individual woes continue.

V

20. Principled

Hey Myarka, What you've just said is exactly my point - it's so unfair especially that those in the third world have to suffer as they do, when actually, this power of God is always present and absolutely free!

There are only small numbers at yet, compared with the huge populations; but thousands of people in Africa, India, Indonesia and South America have been healed of every possible condition, including AIDS, Malaria and yes, even of unemployment and poverty through the power of God.

Here for example is a healing of Malaria in the Belgium Congo.

There have been some remarkable experiences of protection (through prayer) when people have been about to be raped or killed have found that there attackers have just stopped (or in the case below, the guns jammed).

Pierre Pradervan (author of The Gentle Art of Blessing) often writes about the spiritual laws that Jesus so fully demonstrated (and that were elucidated for this age by Mary Baker Eddy.) Here is an excerpt from one:
    PP continues:

I just long for the time when it will be more widely known and recognised so this terrible injustice on mankind is lifted.

Love and peace,

Judy