Healthypages

Training and making a living from hypnotherapy

Discussion in 'Hypnotherapy' started by star72, Jan 31, 2010.

1. sunnyjoy

sunnyjoy New Member

This might help Tashanie. It is a form of Cartesian grid I just created. One variable is 'nice/nasty person', for want of a better phrase. Another is 'charge a fair price/undercharge'. Is it possible for people to fit into all of the following possibilities?

1. Charge a fair price and be a nice person?
    2. Charge a fair price and be a nasty person?
    3. Undercharge and be a nice person?
    4. Undercharge and be a nasty person?

If so, they are independent variables. It's a choice.

Also, the client is paying for the value they receive and some of the changes are truly life-changing. And they are choosing whether to part with any amount charged. I'm a trainer and it is so sad for me when I see great therapists I've taught disappear from the profession due to this problem. We've both invested so much. I think I'll address this topic in my newsletter. Any feedback on the grid or anything else would be good.

2. balancehypnosisstalbans

To be a financially successful hypnotherapist you need to be very good at marketing yourself. You can be the best hypnotherapist in the world but if nobody knows about you then you are going out of business. I work at marketing every single day and my clinics are always full but it takes lots of time and effort. The pay off is that when you market successfully you get noticed by the media which brings in more customers.
    I run marketing courses for therapists because my methods work. In particular I utilise social media, SEO, blogging, ads and localised marketing. I also treat my practice as a serious full time business. I work weekends and evenings to make the business successful. This month my confidence hypnosis tips made the front cover of Natural Health Magazine. In November I appeared on LBC radio as a hypnosis expert. The month before that I filmed a TV pilot. I could go on but my point is that many therapists could do with attending business school in conjunction with their courses as it would make all the difference.

3. Viewofthemountain

Viewofthemountain New Member

As someone exploring the idea of becoming a hypnotherapist, my main concern is how realistic it is to make a decent living. Seeing the many training courses available makes me think there may well be more money in training people to become hypnotherapists than in being a hypnotherapist.

Though many people who enroll on training courses may not necessarily want a new career from it or may subsequently decide it isn't for them etc, there must still be a lot of potential new hypnotherapists trying to do so.

Perhaps an impossible question, but I wonder how many people succeed in making a viable career from hypnotherapy, and how many people who train are able to make a living from it.

Not that making money is my main concern, but it is important and I at least need to be potentially able to make a reasonable income before taking things further.

The views above are very useful but any other opinions or more recent experiences much appreciated.

4. enfieldhypnotherapy

enfieldhypnotherapy New Member

I can give you the stats. At least 85% of newly qualified hypnotherapists will go out of business in one year. I don't know how that compares to other businesses but yes it is difficult to make a living unless you are great at marketing.

I make a good living out of hypnotherapy but that is because I work hard at marketing. I have a number of websites, do SEO, talks, respond to forums such as this, engage in social media, use paid advertising etc... Clients will not simply fall in your lap you need to get found. I run marketing classes to help therapists get clients. These give you the basics to get you started.

As for training courses in hypnosis don't think that is easy either. In order to get clients for your courses you have to attract enough people to make them viable. Often you are booking rooms in advance and have nobody to fill them. If you are an ethical practitioner you don't spam people with your courses. You have to build up an audience over a period of years before you have a great business. Also many of the training courses you see advertised aren't worth the money. There are actually very few great training courses out there which are approved by the big professional bodies. If they look cheap and last a few days then don't waste your money.

5. Courtney K

Courtney K New Member

I think that you have some great advice here! I would also mention that TeeTyalor did not have a bad idea when they mentioned to maybe stay in your old career until your hypnotherapy career takes off. Maybe work on it as a side job until you know that you will find clients and be a success. As with any new career, it takes time to get started, but if you put in the work you will succeed. Good luck with everything!

6. Zandalee

Zandalee Active Member

Hello Courtney, welcome to Healthy pages. Great place to learn and receive information that is thought provoking

7. Andy Brine

Andy Brine New Member

Ive been a practising hypnotherapist for many years not and have to say it is one of the most rewarding things that I have done. Like you, I have found it challenging to keep it as a full time living. Nowadays my work has evolved, though I still use hypnotherapy in my work as well as meditation.