Healthypages

The best organic, pure, filler/binder free supplements brand

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by HEALTHYBRIAN, Dec 31, 2010.

1. HEALTHYBRIAN

HEALTHYBRIAN New Member

Hello All.

I need some ideas as to who is the best brand for supplements and herbal stuff. I am a super Holland Barrett customer.. But Ive heard that Higher Nature is the best as no extenders/fillers/binders...

How about Natures Sunshine Vitality Brand?

Any other UK Brand?

2. ava

ava New Member

Dear Brian - I am interested in hearing the responses you get. I myself am increasingly moving toward powdered supplements specifically to avoid the binders and fillers. I web-search the supplement and buy them from whomever offers the best price.

Some of the capsule supplements sold by Holland and Barrett contain no fillers and are pure herbs. So, if you are buying herbs that's something to look into - I just open them up into hot water (valerian, for example).

Ava x

3. HEALTHYBRIAN

HEALTHYBRIAN New Member

Hello Ava,

What brands have you stumbled upon?

Please share....

4. ava

ava New Member

5. CarolineN

CarolineN New Member

Hi Brian

College recommended Higher Nature, BioCare, Nutri, and BioNutri for starters. Lamberts are slightly cheaper and H&B are useful for those who have probs accessing the others. There are several suppliers eg The NutriCentre which have thousands of products available - confusing if you don't know exactly what you want.

6. ava

ava New Member

I'd add to try and avoid Solgar - which one would expect to be excellent products. They are in fact as full of fillers, binders etc. as H&B. Very disappointing given their price. Most supplements contain fillers because it aids (don't know the technical term) getting the powdered supplement into the capsule on the processing line. One would think that capsules would contain 100% of the nutrient... but only on very rare occasions is that so.

Magnesium stearate is something to try and avoid, if you can - it's a waxy soap-like substance for binding tablets. One of the reported effects of magnesium stearate is the decreased absorption of nutrients. Researchers note that tablets without magnesium stearate have a 90 percent absorption rate, while those formated with magnesium stearate show a 25-30 percent absorption capacity. I've noticed this myself when I moved from 1200mg of magnesium citrate tablets (with binders/fillers) giving me little/no results to 500mg of magnesium citrate powder giving me noticeable results.

Ava x

7. HEALTHYBRIAN

HEALTHYBRIAN New Member

But how do you know if there is no binder like the 500mg mg citrate?

8. HEALTHYBRIAN

HEALTHYBRIAN New Member

Thanks everyone!

I have registered myself on the different brands like Higher, Biocare, and the others...