Healthypages

Supplement Recommendations

Discussion in 'Vegetarian & Vegan' started by fozzyo, Mar 22, 2007.

1. fozzyo

fozzyo New Member

Having looked into supplements for my own diet I was just wondering what others take. Modern 21st Century living I believe has put us more into a place where supplements are more of a requirement then option to ensure a healthy system. I have many veggie / vegan friends, and I want to make sure that they are getting everything they need so any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Personally I currently have 30ml of Aloe Vera Gel, a Super Omega-3 capsule and 2 Wheatgrass / Alfafa tablets and occasionally some Bee Pollen when I need a slight pick me up. All natural and bio-available ingredients and I have to say they have made a real difference to how I feel and my energy levels.

What do you have?

2. ramadani

ramadani New Member

RE: Supplement Recommendations

hubby and i use bee pollen as well! your the only other person i know that knows about bee pollen! lol

occasionally he will take vitamin e or his omega 3 vitas - but when i start my juice fast i am going to be taking something called 'superfoods' which will have all the vitas i need in case i miss some by foods.

HTH

Ada

3. mrsbeansprout

mrsbeansprout New Member

My husband and I take roughly the same supplements. Between us they are Chlorella, Spirulina, a multi Vitamin/Mineral, and a high dose EPA Fish Oil.

We both definitely feel good with the fish oils, but not sure about the others. We don't take them all the time. We eat a very healthy balanced diet, but as with a lot of people sometimes feel we need something extra.

I go through phases of searching (almost obsessively) online for the latest findings on supplements, and there is so much conflicting information about whether they do more harm than good.
    It is all very confusing.

I am pleased that you and ramadani mentioned Bee Pollen, as I have been reading a lot about it lately. I would really appreciate any info you could give, and what you think of it?

mrsb.

4. Azalia

Azalia New Member

What a caring friend you are Matt :)

In my opinion it'svery difficult to recommend suitable supplements for anybody- regardless of whether they're veggie/vegan or even ominivorous. We all have very different constitutions and very individual needs. Dietdoes have a lot to do with what supplements we require, but again, it would be wrong torecommend aone-fits-all type ofsupplement because the vegan diet (for example)varies a lot from person to person. It is possible for a veganto survive on a diet in which you just cut out all the animal products from your diet- yes it's limited and you end up eating pizza without the cheese/crisps/ chips etc, but believe it or not some people do that!! Whereas other vegans base their diet on wholegrains, pulses, nuts, vegetablesetc and are therefore likely to have vastly different needs supplement wise to the aforementioned vegan junkfooder!! It's the same for vegetarians and ...just because you're put into a classification based on the foods you avoid it doesn't tell you what each individual does eat on a daily basis. If you stopped 10omnivores in Tescos and asked them what they ate last week I bet your responses would be vastly different- and yet you're all put in the same group!!

I don't know what your friends diets are like so it's very difficult to recommend anything. However, I think most vegans benefit from B vitamin supplements, andmanyveggies do too. The only vitamin that vegans cannot obtain is vitamin D as it comes from animal sources. The only way (that I'm aware of) that they can get it is to get it from the sun, seemingly non existant in England!:D

The vegetarian and vegan foundation produce a good booklet called 'Nutrition in a Nutshell' which covers all the important nutritional info for veg*ans[link=http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/guides/guides.htm]http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/guides/guides.htm[/link]and they also do interesting fact sheets on the value of fish oils V plant oils and also Iron and plant based iron sources. [link=http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/factsheets/index.html]http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/factsheets/index.html[/link]

Hope that helps,

Az x

5. Azalia

Azalia New Member

PS- forgot to mention that one supplement I wouldn't be without is Vitamin C. I might eat loads of veg and enough fruit, but due to modern farming methods thay not as bursting with nutrients as they used to be, unfortunately.

6. tedhutchinson

tedhutchinson New Member

The only vitamin that vegans cannot obtain is vitamin D as it comes from animal sources. The only way (that I'm aware of) that they can get it is to get it from the sun, seemingly non existant in England!

While it is true that Cholecalciferol Vitamin D3 is derived from animals it comes from the lanolin extracted from wool so no animals are harmed or die from the Vitamin D3 industry. One of the reasons you see animals grooming their hair is to get the vitamin d which is formed on their skin and present in the fur into their body. So giving your friend a good licking after basking in the sun will boost your vitamin d status for free. [​IMG]
    But if you really cannot bring yourself to take cholecalciferol capsules then do consider visiting a sun tan palour twice a week through the Winter. I know I go on about Vitamin d too much for some people but low vitamin d status is responsible for over 90 cancer deaths in the UK every single day. Low Vitamin d status doubles the risk of breast prostate and colon cancer and I could go on and on listing the damaging effects it has. There is no need to get a tan, Vitamin d is made in a quater of the time it takes to start tanning so regular short visits to a sun tan palour, or buying your own Sun lamp with UVB tubes would be a good investment and far far safer than having a low vitamin d status. Don't be put off by the scaremongers who shout melanoma, they haven't kept up to date with the latest research and simply aren't aware that those with melanoma and a high vitamin d status have a better prognosis than those who stay out of the sun. Melanoma deaths are inversly related to sun exposure. That means more sun less chance of dying from melanoma. But don't ever get burnt.
    The other option would be to holiday abroad in the Winter for around three weeks in a tropical area and get regular daily sun exposure directly on your skin. In my thread [link=http://www.healthypages.net/forum/tm.asp?m=426124]Vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol[/link]I've set out how you can prepare your skin for sun exposure by improving your diet and drinking Green tea. It really does work and it saves you putting on chemical sunscreens which mask the damage done by the sun and increase the amount your skin absorbs pesticide/herbicide chemicals. As the chemicals in most sunscreens can be detected in your urine after a couple of hours only apply sunscreens you'd be happy to eat.

7. tedhutchinson

tedhutchinson New Member

It may help those buyingVitamin C to know that the body doesn't absorblarge amounts of Vitamin c very efficiently. Therefore if you buy a time release formulation you will be matching the speed of delivery provided by fruit and veg sources and less will end up in the loo.
    The other point you need to know is that once in the blood the half life is measured in minutes, probably around 30. So this is another reason to use time release vitamin c.ONE gram Time release VitC taken every 8 hrs will raise and keep high Vitamin c status much better than a 3gnormal VitC tabletin the morning.
    With the single 3 g tablet only 50% will be absorbed so you only take in 1.5g. Then half an hour later it's .75g after an hour .35g 90mins .175g etc. Whereas the time release will be supplying the vitamin c at an absorbable rate continuously through the day, particularly if you use 3x 1gtablets 8hrlyrather than 2x1.5g 12hrlyor1x3g a day.

8. susand

susand New Member

You can get Vitamin D from here

[link=http://www.healthydirect.co.uk/pages/search/search_results.asp?SI=5bfa990c-4d81-49d0-b5f0-dc6920a1fed0&Action=14&AXD=http%3a%2f%2fwww.healthydirect.co.uk%2f0143.htm%3fSearchSessionID%3d5bfa990c-4d81-49d0-b5f0-dc6920a1fed0%7e0143%7eVitamin+D+400iu%7e1.45]http://www.healthydirect.co.uk/pages/search/search_results.asp?SI=5bfa990c-4d81-49d0-b5f0-dc6920a1fed0&Action=14&AXD=http%3a%2f%2fwww.healthydirect.co.uk%2f0143.htm%3fSearchSessionID%3d5bfa990c-4d81-49d0-b5f0-dc6920a1fed0%7e0143%7eVitamin+D+400iu%7e1.45[/link]

It's vegetarian and looks suitable for vegans, can someone who's been a vegan for a long time check this out please!

Cheers
    Susan

9. tedhutchinson

tedhutchinson New Member

I'm sorry to have to contradict you, (because I really think people in the UK should be taking a lot more D3) but the Healthy Direct information on the product you link to says specifically under the section
    [​IMG]
    " NOT suitable for vegetarians."
    Remember the current RDA for Vitamin d is unsupported by any science at all and the latest science shows your body uses 4000iu a day. So one of these 400iu tablets dailywould have little impact(though every little helps). You would (given sunshine will be contributing to your Vitamin d status from now on) get by with 4 or 5 of these daily (1600-2000iu/d) until you can regularly get intothe sunshine to sunbathe which has advantages (in increasing your skins photoprotection and antibiotic resistance) over simply using capsules.
    There is a form which is suitable for vegetarians Zipvit sell a293 Vitamin D2 360 x 1000iuvery cheap and while this is approaching an effective strength and vegetarian it is a form I cannot bring myself to recommend strongly.
    If you google The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement you will read why. Basically it's because D2 is not as effective as d3, more likely to cause toxicity (although this is a very minor risk)and it isn't well absorbed by elderly people who particularly need it.
    So while my first choice is sunbathing for free then Cholecalciferol d3, (which comes from sheeps wool and not their bodies) Sunbed or suntan lamps (providing you don't use them excessively or too frequently) are the next best option and Ergocalciferol must be the last option, but it is definitely better to use Ergocalciferol than have a low vitamin d status as reducing by 50% your breast, colon, prostate cancer, MSrisk factor is well worth the cost.

10. mrsbeansprout

mrsbeansprout New Member

With regards to Vitamin D from sun exposure, apparently by eating a dessert spoon of tomato puree daily your skin will then have some natural protection from the sun? The lypocene in tomatoes helps to protect the skin from serious damage.
    I think that a little safe sun exposure is definitely a good thing.

mrsb.

11. sunanda

sunanda New Member

Totally off topic but I do find it annoying when the page gets stretched so wide!!![sm=offtopic.gif]

I take a multi-vitamin and mineral, fish oils, calcium, magnesium and zinc and spirulina. Every day. I must say sometimes I wonder whether they make a difference or not, but I don't want to stop taking them only to find out that they do!

Love
    Sunanda xxx

12. susand

susand New Member

[link=http://www.healthypages.net/forum/showProfile.asp?memid=27258]tedhutchinson[/link]- I've got the bottle in front of me as I'm typing this post, it does say on the bottle that it is suitable for vegetarians I wouldn't have posted otherwise, I am going to have to query healthy direct about this and will see if they give me a reply why it is saying the opposite on the site...

cheers
    susan

13. susand

susand New Member

I have just spoken to healthy direct and I have left a query with them, someone is supposed to be getting back to me.....I am not at all happy about this, I bought these a few months ago and it did say on the website at the time that they were suitable for veggies and it says on the bottle.....they seem to have changed it, god, who can we trust...its' so annoying!

thanks for pointing that out...susan

14. caringsoul

caringsoul New Member

I take my omega's through nuts and vegan margarine. Also nuts are highly nutritious.

I eat loads of fruit a day and veg,. Having said that, I had'nt had a cold for two years yet this year I had two in 6 weeks!!. Mind you my friends kids keep bringing bugs home with them from nursery!.
    The only suppliment I take is Glucosamine (vegan caps).

15. ramadani

ramadani New Member

From my 'starting anew thread ([link=http://www.healthypages.net/forum/fb.asp?m=426760]http://www.healthypages.net/forum/fb.asp?m=426760[/link])

about pollen = some interesting sites!

[link=http://www.graminex.com/pollen_extract_excerpt.php]http://www.graminex.com/pollen_extract_excerpt.php[/link]

~Today, pollen extract is a super-food source used by many European and Japanese doctors to remedy certain dietary deficiencies associated with certain problems of the reproductive organs.

[link=http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_5_62/ai_62702347]http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_5_62/ai_62702347[/link]

~Bee pollen consists of blended pollen grains collected by honeybees from a wide variety of plants. Pollen is a major rood source for the bees, providing their protein requirements. Worker bees travel from flower to flower, collecting pollen in special "baskets" on their legs. Workers collect more pollen than the colony needs, so beekeepers have devised special screens to scrape some pollen off as the bees enter the hive.

~Bee pollen is an important food for men with enlarged (benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH) and inflamed (prostatitis) prostates. In at least 3 studies, researchers used a standardized proprietary extract of blended pollens collected by humans directly from certain plants to reduce prostate size in men with severe and chronic of BPH and prostatitis.

[link=http://www.naturallynewzealand.com/beePollen.html]http://www.naturallynewzealand.com/beePollen.html[/link]

~Bee pollen rejuvenates your body, stimulates organs and glands, enhances vitality, and brings about a longer life span.

~Bee pollen contains most of the known nutrients, including all of those necessary for human survival. When compared to any other food, it contains a higher percentage of all the necessary nutrients. Bee pollen is approximately 25% complete protein containing at least 18 amino acids. In addition, bee pollen provides more than a dozen vitamins, 28 minerals, 11 enzymes or co-enzymes, 14 beneficial fatty acids, 11 carbohydrates, and is rich in minerals, the full spectrum of vitamins, and hormones. It is low in calories.

~Several nutrients in bee pollen, such as proteins, beneficial fats, vitamins B, C, D, E, and beta-carotene, calcium, magnesium, selenium, nucleic acids, lecithin, and cysteine, are scientifically well documented for their ability to strengthen immunity, counteract the effects of radiation and chemical toxins (which are the two most severe stressors to your immune system), and generate optimal health and vitality.

~Bee pollen provides anti-oxidants that scavenge free radicals caused by exposure to radiation, chemical pollutants, and other intense physical or emotional stressors. Radiation and chemical pollutants are known as the two most severe stressors to your immune system. According to the Centers for Disease Control and the Environmental Protection Agency, the two premier health monitoring organizations in the world, this year you will be exposed to over 200 different forms of radioactive toxins and over 60,000 different chemical toxins.

~Bee pollen is documented to counteract the effects that radiation and chemical pollutants have on these important barometers of health. Equally important, bee pollen has been proven clinically to generate health.

~Bee pollen significantly reduced the usual side-effects of both radium and cobalt-60 radiotherapy in twenty-five women who had been treated for inoperable uterine cancer. The women who took the product were considerably healthier and had stronger immunological responses. These women registered beneficial increases in a number of areas, including red and white blood cell counts and serum protein levels. The women also reported feeling an improved sense of well-being. It has also proved beneficial for nausea, poor appetite after radiation treatments, sleep disorders, urinary and

16. caringsoul

caringsoul New Member

We vegans do not use bee products because of the cruelty aspect. Bee keepers kill of the excess queen bees.