Healthypages

Sleeping aid

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by _Chris_, Oct 17, 2017.

1. _Chris_

_Chris_ Member

Hi all, I sometimes have problems sleeping at night, so I spray Lavender on my pillows at night, which helps me to go to sleep straight away, which is great, but then find I'm waking up a few hours later when the scent wears off. Still keeping the costs as low as possible, are there certain types of Lavender that last longer please?

2. Cascara

Cascara Active Member

a lavender pillow? Take a walk and see if you can find a lavender plant that you can take a few sprigs from, get permission first though :)

Otherwise lavender essential oil perhaps, a bit of an outlay but lasts for ages and is so useful for first aid too.

3. _Chris_

_Chris_ Member

Thanks Cassie, am using Lavender essential oils now, but as in the first post above, the scent from it is only lasting a few hours. ;-(

4. Crowan

Crowan Well-Known Member

It is a natural pattern to wake in the night. Old texts refer to 'first sleep' and 'second sleep'. Doesn't really help in our modern culture, of course.

5. _Chris_

_Chris_ Member

It isn't always.

6. Crowan

Crowan Well-Known Member

It's the pattern that people who are able to go to sleep and wake up following the natural hours of darkness fall into. We can't all do that in modern life.

7. jnani

jnani Well-Known Member

Sleep is one of the most natural things that is quite capable of happening on its own accord. Sleeping rituals, aids to sleep etc can also be subconscious saboteurs to sleep. Inverse psychology at play. It is easy to get this dynamic going. Gently be aware of that...one can be tryingbtoo hard...and sleep is effortless.

Don't keep declaring yourself as a 'troubled sleeper', insomniac or 'I find it hard to fall asleep'..
    Things are reaffirmed and then they take a certain hold. Catch 22.

As far as I know there is no natural pattern to wake in night. I have read articles on that too, but what does that mean?

Don't chase it too hard. Relax into the sleeplessness....It is not non-sleep that is the problem, it's the subtle fight with it, that causes the dynamic to continue.

Hope you Sleep like a log and wake up in the fireplace!

8. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

Well, it is really.
    Sleep analysis shows that we naturally go through cycles when we sleep, entering deep states and lighter states and back and forth etc.
    It's more likely someone will awaken during a lighter state than the deep state, and dream states occur at certain points only.

Often, trouble getting to sleep is because we have a discursive mind, constantly going back and forth on things that we are holding on to from the days events (or previous days events etc.) Recognising that those things are not in the present moment, and bringing your attention to the present, can help to let the mind quieten and for sleep to naturally take hold. This could be achieved through something like meditation, or simply reading a book (not one that get's you too gripped in the story though ;) ). This is why the old method of "counting sheep" works, because it brings our mind to a single point of focus, and lessens the discursiveness of the mind.

9. jnani

jnani Well-Known Member

Cycles of sleep means various stages and states of sleep from light to deep. It is not necessarily waking in the night

10. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

Certainly, I didn't say that it was waking in the night, but it is easier to come to a waking state from those stages in the cycle were we are not in deep sleep.

11. jnani

jnani Well-Known Member

Sorry Giles it wasn't your reply that was meant to be quoted. What you said is spot on. wrong quote...it was a reply to -reply #4