Healthypages

Sleep deprivation

Discussion in 'Natural Remedies' started by heavenspirit, Dec 2, 2007.

1. heavenspirit

heavenspirit New Member

Hi

Is there anything herbal that I can take for the above. My 11 month old has been waking up in the night at least once and even twice for milk feeds, probably caused either by comfort or teething. I am ok going to sleep usually when I put him down, but he wakes up either around 10pm and 12pm, also sometimes 2pm, and I find it very difficult to switch off. It is now 1.49am and I am wide awake. This has been going on for a number of months and I am at the point of not functioning very well.

I am unable to take sleeping tablets as they just don't work on me! and make me feel worse. Not sure what my GP would recommend in the form of sedatives. I just need something to knock me out on the nights when my hubby can look after the little one.

I've tried a lot of things, like Chamomile tea, Reiki, meditation but no help. Watching TV does help a bit but as soon as I'm nodding off, baby wakes me. Its a constant viscious circle which I am praying that he outgrows.

Thanks

2. High Spirit

High Spirit New Member

gosh hun, its sooo hard isnt it, I have had years with this problem, I have 3 kids between 7 and 1. none of which have slept, my 14 month old still hasnt ever slet a whole night
    The trouble is you know your not going to sleep well, which doesnt help you switch off, If I am tired I find I get anxious in the vening cuz I know soon as I get off the baby will wake me so I feel whats the point.....
    All I can say is what I do....I see you have tried all sorts already, what about lavander? I used to drink chamomile tea a lot...specially in the evening, is your child breast feeding? cuz if you drink enough it will go through to babe, if not how about making a bit for baby in a cup or bottle for him to drink later in the day?
    I also have taken batch olive remedy in the day this helps a lot with energy levels in th day time, I also find when I exercise I sleep sp much better, long as I dont do it in the veening...then I dont switch off. I know it sounds daft but I find burning off my nervous energy by exercising really hard for hour a day a few times a week really helps, it brings me down a level mentally and then i find with all the other stuff mentioned I do sleep better. Also I have learned not to get uptight about it which believe me has taken me years...as I said my eldest is now 7....and its only this time round that I just lay there and try and clear my head and if I cant sleep then thats that. It only gets worse when your worried or cross about it.
    I am not sure if any of the above will help.... but I hope so.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight New Member

Just to add to High Spirit's advice, I thought my story might help a bit.

My boys are now age 27 and 21 and I had the same problem with my eldest, who apart from waking during the night, would start each day bang on 6.00 a.m.!

In my second pregnancy I didn't have any cows milk products or wheat, or for the 13 months I breast fed him for. He was an absolute delight! He never woke during the night and started each day at 8.00 a.m. so it was quite blissful. He hasn't ever had an antibiotic or medication in all this time.

My eldest also changed completely when he went on to goats milk, and now both of them are super-fit (touch wood!). My daughter-in-law will also only buy goats milk.

As it has been going on now for some months, I wonder if it may be something you could look at. But for yourself, the mineral magnesium is a relaxant and very calming. They say it 'makes you like a lamb.' If I take magnesium before bed, I find that if I wake during the night, I get back to sleep quickly.

Candlelight :) x

4. oakapple

oakapple New Member

Hi,

I would like to add to High spirit's advice about the lavender, it is a wonderful relaxant, and so easy to use. You can easily get lavender pillows from most good alternative shops and some chemists. You can also use the oil in a oil burner, or burn lavender incense sticks. Make sure you have a calming routine whenever you are about to go to sleep (easier to say than do, particularly when you have just got up to littlun!) a nice steamy bath can do the trick.

Hope some of this helps, here is a link about lavender:

http://www.rd4u.org.uk/personal/when/lavender.html

Good luck.

5. Rosi1

Rosi1 New Member

An amethyst cluster by the side of your bed will aid sleeping, also taking amethyst elixir is helpful for sleeping.

6. fleur

fleur Active Member

I find that Cedarwood or Ylang Ylang essential oil gives me a good solid nights sleep, better as an aromatherapy blend and massaged in than as a burner, lavender doesnt work for me!

7. heavenspirit

heavenspirit New Member

Thanks for all your replies.

High Spirit I do use Lavender, especially in my bath, but have baths in the morning mainly. I must get out my lavender incense sticks and also sprinkle on my pillow. Also baby is on solids with 3 milk feeds a day, although he is a very light eater so seems to be making up his bottles at night - bless him its not his fault, either that he is teething.

Candlelight - where can I get this mineral magnesium, are they in tablet form and can I get it at any health shop like Holland & Barrett?

Rosi1 - thanks for this I have loads of amethyst clusters and amethyst tumblestones. I'll try this tonight.

Fleur and oakapple - thanks for your additional tips too, every little helps

xx

8. Candlelight

Candlelight New Member

Hi Heaven Spirit,

If you can get a magnesium citrate, which is better absorbed, then Lamberts sell one in tablet form. I am not sure about Holland & Barrett's magnesium.

I don't like to prescribe, as obviously I don't know your history, but assuming all is well with you, then ideally you would take 1-2. Most people would take two, but I am quite sensitive so always under-dose. It is called 'Magasorb.'

If, after some while, your baby continues to wake up, and you know that it is not a teething problem for sure, you may want to look at the milk again.

Candlelight :) x

9. Rosi1

Rosi1 New Member

Hi Heaven~Spirit, I was wondering if your sleep has improved?

10. heavenspirit

heavenspirit New Member

Hi Rosi1

It has a bit thanks. My little one has had a few full nights sleep which was great for me. I haven't taken anything herbal as I really want to try naturally going to sleep. I have put a TV up in my room which helps a lot and really makes me drowsy. However, I am getting more than the usual 3 hours sleep, probably on average about 6, some of it being interrupted sleep. I definitely think its his teeth even though they have not appeared. Thankfully I am coping better than I was a couple of weeks ago. My husband is helping out tonight, so hoping that I get some shut eye.

Thanks for asking and still have to do the elixir, a bit busy at the moment preparing for 1st birthday and Christmas.

Luv Tracy

11. Rosi1

Rosi1 New Member

Glad your sleep has improved a little.

Have you placed the amethyst clusters near to where you sleep? They really will help to aid sleep.

12. kcatdeejay

kcatdeejay Member

heaven^spirit, I was going to suggest calcium and magnesium to you. I see magnesium citrate has been suggested. I was waking many nights around 2am for no explicable reason. In my research for a health challenge that I am currently facing, I came across this 'cure' for my inability to have a good night's sleep. It has worked for me and everyone I have suggested it to claims that they also have had the same success. I hope you are able to finally get a good night's rest!!
    My best to you!

kcat

13. heavenspirit

heavenspirit New Member

Hi Kcat

I'm really now desparate for something so going to the Health shop this week to try and locate or get some pills. I wake up at 12 every night and just can't go back to sleep so it just leaves me with around 3 hours sleep a night which I really cannot function on. Thank you for your suggestion and comments on magnesium.

14. heavenspirit

heavenspirit New Member

Just to update on this. I bought some calcium and magnesium pills from Tesco, cost £8 for 90 tablets however when I got home I found that they were massive and I have real difficulty taking big pills, so a total waste. However I see that they make them in effervescent form, so going to get that instead.

However, I am still exhausted. Last night had 3 hours sleep and then baby woke me up at 11 and I couldn't get back to sleep again. I just feel shattered today and have a few palpitations am so tired. Also very weepy. So I've made an appointment with my doctor for 5.40 this evening. I am so desparate for even 6 hours sleep. Hoping that he can give me a sedative of sorts as I just now cannot cope.

15. heavenspirit

heavenspirit New Member

So, went to my doctor and he was great. Did not want to prescribe me with sleeping tablets as they can get addictive but I did explain that those pills don't work for me and he's given me a mild sedative on anti-depressants. He says that if the 10mg dose does not help that he will put me on a higher dose. Realise that it will take time for the medicine to work. Its been rather stressful as had to take our 1 year old whose birthday it was yesterday to A&E last night - has an infection in the upper respiratory. So major stress in my life. Am hoping that all is well now for Christmas.

16. Rosi1

Rosi1 New Member

Please try the amethyst cluster or alternatively some amethyst essence, totally natural and works to relax the nervous system.

I sent some to a lady that was grieving for the sudden loss of her brother - she said it was really helping her to sleep.

Another lady would wake up with nightmares due to some childhood issues, she is sleeping like a baby all through the night on taking some amethyst drops under her tongue just before sleep.

I can't say enough how wonderful amethyst is. It is the stone of peace, tranquility and calm and is known for helping insomniacs to sleep, it reduces anxiety, fear and even panic attacks (have used it on animals with panic attacks and anxiety). Animals that are car sick due to anxiety benefit from amethyst essence. Its uses are pretty wide!

It is natural and has no side effects. Can't you tell I love this essence!

17. hom

hom New Member

Hi -if things don't resolve for you, you could make an appt with a homeopath If you were my patient, I would give both you and your child some remedies (Homeopathic- not herbal) that I think would help to get you both back to better health, very quickly. All homeopathic medicines are compatible with any other prescription drugs. To find a registered homeopath in your area, look on the society of homeopaths website- or yellow pages. HTH Hom

18. heavenspirit

heavenspirit New Member

Hi Rosi1

I love amethyst and its one of my favourite crystals - I use crystals with my Reiki. I have put the clusters by the side of my bed and amazingly, probably with the sedative the calcium and magnesium I have for the past 3 nights been able to sleep a bit better than I was. Instead of 3 to 4 hours, I'm getting about 5 to 6 hours. Marginally better than what I was getting and feeling. I am starting to feel like a human being again. Otherwise for our 1 year old, he's teething terribly and I've been giving him Teething granules which have chamomile in them, but he's now also in his own routine and wakes up still once or twice in the night. I think everything will calm down when those dreaded teeth have arrived.

Hom - I swear by Tissue Salts which I use regularly in my life - they're very effective.

19. Rosi1

Rosi1 New Member

So glad you're sleeping better.

20. heavenspirit

heavenspirit New Member

Well I've nearly finished my first pack of calcium and magnesium chewable tablets and they are working a treat! Thank you to everyone who recommended these minerals. Since taking the supplement (which by the way is Osteocare calcium magnesium vidamin D3, zinc and 4 supporting nutrients), I have also been regularly going to the toilet. Have suffered terribly with constipation and for the first time in my life, going once a day. These supplements are incredible and I'm getting now around 6 or more hours a night sleep!

Can't thank you all enough

Love and light to you all!

x