Healthypages

Shoulder/arm pain & pins and needles

Discussion in 'Limb Problems' started by ali_jane1123, Feb 8, 2008.

1. biggazfromlincoln

biggazfromlincoln New Member

glad all is going well, how important that you found a therapsit you like and trust, its half the battle,
    regards
    Gaz

2. motty13

motty13 New Member

hi, i wounder if anyone can give some advice..

i have been having major problems over the past 5 weeks with my shoulder and kneck. the pain is like whiplash, however the pain has now gone down my right arm with pins and needles in my fingers. The pain is more uncomfotable than anything and hurts more at night ie cant get to sleep unless i have pain killers. I have been the doctors who has refered me to have physio, however 2 weeks on and still waiting.:(
    i do alot of mouse work through work and this seems to make it worse. My right arm " stiffens up"?? any ideas what this is pls? thx

3. Blackcrow

Blackcrow New Member

:hippy:Hello Motty.

I CAN UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM BECAUSE I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

I WAS INVOLVED IN A CAR ACCIDENT, THAT CAUSED MINE I HAD TO HAVE AN OPERATION ON MY SHOULDER TO SOLVE THE PAIN,

IT COULD BE A TRAPPED NERVE. CAUSING YOUR PAIN PHISIO DOES TAKE A WHILE TO COME THROUGH. BUT PUT A LAVENDER BAG, WHICH YOU HEAT UP ON IT THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU SOME COMFORT.

TAKE CARE

4. massage space

massage space New Member

Hi Motti
    That is such a common problem seen these days in massage therapy practices!
    The fact of sitting down in the same position for hours using the same repetitive movements with the same arm often cause the symptoms you describe. And there are many people with the same problem.
    In general, when using the mouse, most of us tend to use the upper traps and other muscles of the upper part of the shoulder and neck too, mostly without realising. What this does is a continued contracture that causes your shoulder to be closer to your ear.
    As these structures keep contracted all the time as a subconsciious habit probably, nerves can easily get compressed causing neuralgic symptoms such as pins and needles, shooting pain, numbness, etc.

SOLUTION: Give a holiday to that arm. It deserves it! Learn to use the mouse with your other hand. It seems difficult the first attempts but soon you'll get the hang of it. I have done it and so have some of my clients.
    And have some therapy. Start with deep tissue remedial massage. Find a therapist with a good background and experience in myofascial release techniques (not the excruciatingly painful ones though!)
    Don't worry. It generally goes away if you deal with it the right way.
    Good luck!
    M

5. bobbm2

bobbm2 New Member

A new trick from an old sea dog...

Ok chaps, listen up and I'll give you some info that might just work for your shoulder problems. This was shown to me by one of the doctors on a cruise ship I was Security Officer on. I went to him because I had most if not all of the symptoms you have all described and it was causing me a lot of nuisance rather than any extreme pain. it was caused by me leaning on my desk typing at the pc and having my shoulders too relaxed. More of a slump than an upright position and all the weight of my upper body going on to my shoulders, especially the right one.

Sorry, I'm rambling a little. So, I went to the doc and he got me to stand in front of a wall with my palm facing it with the fingers pointing straight up. He got me to push forward to flatten my palm on the wall at the same time. Then he told me to turn my palm first as far to the left as I could and then as far to the right as possible all the time keeping all your weight on the palm. Really guys, it stopped hurting almost instantly, I'm not kidding! It comes back from time to time because I have to use the computer so much in my job, but just 2 minutes of the above treatment works to clear it up.

It may not work for you as quickly as it did for me but please try it, eh?

Bob

jacie likes this.
  6. jacie

jacie New Member

hi Bob thanks for posting this - it actually works brilliantly! It wasn't quite instant though there was some immediate improvement so I did it again the next day and it's so much better and I can now raise my arm again. Don't know if you'll see this as it's 6 years on but most grateful to you!
    p's my granddad was an old sea dog too!