Healthypages

Rabbit shaking her head and scratching her ears

Discussion in 'Pets, Animals & Wildlife' started by tiabia, Dec 5, 2006.

1. tiabia

tiabia New Member

My rabbit recently had two scabs on her ear, one on the inside and one on the outside. We took her to the vet a couple weeks ago and she gave us medicine to put on the outside or her ear since the one on the inside was already a small scar.
    The last couple days my rabbit has been shaking her head and scratching her ear. If you lightly bump her ear or touch it at all, she runs and goes crazy. I told my mom to call the vet but she hasn't yet.
    Does anyone know what the problem could be?

2. lyn

lyn New Member

RE: Rabbit shaking her head and scratching her ears

Hi, It could be, ear mites, ear infection, wax build up, abscess in the ear, either way they need a vet to look at them, watch for the rabbit going off balance too. Don't leave it too long before you see the vet. lyn

3. dawnymarie

dawnymarie New Member

aw poor little bunny.

i agree with all that lyn wrote, it is probably something that is easily remedied but does need a visit to the vet in order to treat whatever it is. poor bunny is probably driven mad with it. our rabbit sometimes gets a stray hair fall down into his ear and it drives him mad, he shakes his head and puts his foot down to scratch. it is sorted quickly as he is so persistant! little tinker, he will let us have a gentle look though, but not for long.

good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

love dawnymariexxx

;)

4. tiabia

tiabia New Member

My mom and I took my rabbit to the vet today. It just so happens that she has just started a yeast infection. I was very surprised when the doctor told me my rabbit has a yeast infection in her ear! We have some medicine for her and the vet said it should go away in about a week because the yeast infection has just started. Thanks for your feedback! Happy Holidays.