Healthypages

Massage Therapist Referral Letters

Discussion in 'Student / Training' started by JoJo2504, Sep 18, 2008.

1. JoJo2504

JoJo2504 New Member

Hello is there anyone out there that can help me please, (hope this is the right forum). I have just started yet another course, this one is in massage, and I have some homework (as you do), one of the questions is to draft a referral letter to a Dr, which I had no problem with, and the other part of the question was to draft a referral letter to another professional, I'm really not too sure what to put, thank you :) x

2. biggazfromlincoln

biggazfromlincoln New Member

it would contain fairly similar information and would usually be met with the same response........ie................none what so ever.......... In my opinion its a complete waste of time for you on the course and for any working therapists to pursue these referrals..........I stress its my opinion, but all the best for your course
    BGFL

3. Aromababe

Aromababe New Member

I disagree. I work for a cancer charity which offers many therapies and I've often been in the position where I've referred one of my clients to another professional, for instance, acupuncturist or a counsellor.

I usually fill them in with the client's history, my treatments and why I feel it would be beneficial for my client to see them.

4. biggazfromlincoln

biggazfromlincoln New Member

I wouldnt pass on clients history as it is regarded as sensitive information and could conflict with client confidentiality issues.
    I understood "professional" to be allied health professional and as such Stand by my comments,
    BGFL

5. Jabba The Hut

Jabba The Hut Well-Known Member

I've been a therapist for 30 years now and in the early years used to refer clients to other therapists, with a letter of introduction, but never included any personal information - simply a 'I believe your therapy may be more appropriate at this time' etc. (Can't remember ever receiving a thank you in reply). I stopped doing this years ago - now, if I really cannot treat the problem I suggest that they should find a therapist who might be more experienced in a particular treatment. For instance, I do not do aromatherapy, so would recommend a client to see someone who does!

I have never written a referral letter to a GP, but have written plenty of times to tell them that 'so and so has come to my clinic in order to have such and such therapy, which may be of benefit to their condition'. I stopped this waste of paper some time ago, after I found out where they are filed! I no longer ask for permission to treat - probably naughty, but having close friends who are GP's, and knowing their opinion about receiving such things, I always get the client to talk directly to the GP to ask if there is any reason why they should not receive therapy.