Healthypages

Is it wrong for Christians to practice EFT?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by orcinus, Nov 17, 2015.

1. scommstech

scommstech Active Member

To be honest I don't even know what shamanism is. I'm just hanging in there with some of the other stuff. But it is true that lots of people just use words without it seems a deeper understanding, even some of the quotes from the Bible seem tailored to support the writers own thoughts. Energy is a fascinating subject and I think we all could benefit from trying to understand it better.

2. Crowan

Crowan Well-Known Member

Just to clarify - I also do not experience an 'external' energy anything.

3. Tashanie

Tashanie Well-Known Member

I've not been on this forum for a while so I've only just seen this. I have given Reiki to deeply faithful practising christians who have really enjoyed it and found nothing in it that was against their faith. EFT isn't really energy healing..... and it isn't acupuncture either but undoubtedly it does use some some acupuncture points. While I have had some run ins with some clergy about reiki, I have never seen or heard any objection to EFT. And since acupuncture is accepted by the medical establishment (unlike reiki) I would not expect any faith based objections to EFT.

3 people like this.
  4. orcinus

orcinus New Member

Hi Tashanie, what do you mean "EFT isn't really energy healing"? Can you elaborate pls?

5. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

I think, what Sally means is, whilst EFT is working on the Energy Meridian System (after all EFT is heavily supported by the AAMET (http://www.aamet.org/) - the Association for the Advancement of Meridian Energy Techniques), so is in a way an energy modality, it's not "Energy Healing" in the sense of Reiki or other techniques that can be done "hands off" or from a distance, because it's not about the "channelling of energy", but rather a direct manipulation of one's own energy system.

Consider it this way... with something like Reiki, the practitioner is channelling Ki (universal energy) through themselves to the person being treated. Yet with EFT, the practitioner doesn't "channel" any energy to the client, in fact they just show and guide the client in treating themselves, helping them to get to the root causes of their issues, and the clients themselves do the technique of their own volition. It's no different to one person instructing another to drink some water because they've determined they are dehydrated, or telling them to sit by the fire and warm up because they are cold; in this case the practitioner is helping to identify the issues and guides the client to phrase the issue in a particular way, tap a few acupressure points on themselves in a certain way, and re-evaluate how they feel about the issue after; refining and redoing the practice until results are achieved.

6. scommstech

scommstech Active Member

Hi Can you expand on this description of EFT treatment.

There was a healer (not EFT) many years ago who's approach was to inform the client that the cause of a disease was due to the client's own misunderstandings and once the client "rejected" their own incorrect understandings and replaced them with the "correct" understandings the disease would disappear.
    Sounds a bit like the EFT approach

7. orcinus

orcinus New Member

In reply to scommstech - EFT (emotional freedom technique) involves tapping on acupuncture points while you're tuned into a negative emotion. This brings the intensity of the said emotion down. I'm not sure what you mean by replacing incorrect understandings with positive ones, but in EFT there's often a cognitive shift when a client is able to see a problem from a different perspective after lowering the intensity of negative emotions.

8. orcinus

orcinus New Member

Oh, I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

9. scommstech

scommstech Active Member

Hi Orcinus
    I can see the principle involved, but how do you decide which negative emotion is to be selected and do you just think about the emotion to tune into it.

10. Paul Crick

Paul Crick Healthypages Moderator
    Staff Member

Emotions are a physiological responses to our underlying thought patterns and beliefs, the amount of emotional response just gives an indication of how strong the body is responding to the thought patterns and/or beliefs that are triggering them, the reality is that there are no negative emotions as they are all being created in a positive manner, the same as thoughts which are all creative.

11. Crowan

Crowan Well-Known Member

How do you define/recognise a 'negative' emotion? Surely any 'negativity' (I'm trying hard here - it's not a word I use, generally) is in your perception, not in the emotion?

12. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

That doesn't sound like EFT, that sounds like NLP, where you anchor a "good" feeling or idea in the place where a "bad" feeling/idea exists.

Anyone who describes EFT as rejecting things or that it's the clients own misunderstanding is clearly not trained in EFT.
    The core statement for EFT is "The cause of ALL negative emotions is a disruption in the body's energy system" (and thus considers that physical symptoms are a result of the negative emotions). EFT then works to remove the disruption in the body's energy system, thus releasing negative emotions and the causes of physical symptoms.

13. scommstech

scommstech Active Member

Is it possible that it is just the terminology that is misleading. Negativity has to be in the interpretation, and it also has to be on a sliding scale.
    What is negative to one may not be seen as negative to another, just like the Y axis. It is only +ve or -Ve if viewed from an assigned centre point. All Thoughts are creative, but we can create what some may consider as bad thoughts, just as we can create what some consider good thoughts.

14. Paul Crick

Staff Member

Yes it is the terminology in most things that gets in the way of understanding what is happening and why something is the way it is. :)

When we choose to label something good or bad, positive or negative etc, we are applying a personal judgement or a judgemental understanding that arises from an underlying judgemental belief, all of the therapies or healing work that is used in this type of work is applied to help people overcome their own underlying judgemental beliefs, so that they can move into a position of self acceptance.

The underlying judgemental conflicts can be assessed through the emotional responses that the thought patterns and associated underlying core beliefs set up in the body, so the first thing is to ascertain the underlying problem, then to ask the person to think of the problem and assess it on a sliding scale of 0 to 10, we use 0 to indicate they feel nothing at all which is the ideal as this is neutral up to 10 which would be so intense that they would consider throwing themselves off a tall building.

Whatever they are feeling is not important, whatever the underlying inner divisional conflict is that they have created within themselves is irrelevant, whatever happened at the time they chose to create the judgemental conflict is irrelevant, it just requires addressing and sorting out, we do not place a judgemental label on things, we simply ask for something to identify the conflict and a number between 0 and 10 then resolve or remove the judgemental conflict and at 0 they have achieved self acceptance and it is done.

15. Crowan

Crowan Well-Known Member

As well as the sliding scale with zero in the middle, there's always the option of stepping off the scale completely. This means giving up the entire idea of duality - negative/positive, good/evil. These notions only have power if we, by our focus, give it to them.

16. Paul Crick

Staff Member

That is it in a nutshell Crowan, that is the place we try and help people to be in. ;)

17. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

Certainly. However for the everyday person, they have their own negative things they want to make positive, so if EFT helps them change that to their positive (even if it's not another persons positive) then that's healing for them.
    Of course it's relative, but when something someone perceives as negative themselves is causing them problems, whether emotional, physical or whatever, then they have that choice to change it.