Healthypages

how to make baby sleep?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Baby' started by wanda, Jun 5, 2014.

1. wanda

wanda New Member

Should you wait for you baby until s/he feel drowsy before laying her/him down or do something to make her/him sleep?

2. jnani

jnani Well-Known Member

Generally people start a routine. The baby slowly gets conditioned to this ritual. And dozes off without much effort.
    Roughly the same time every evening. Generally winding down as in not playing and stimulating her mind and attention. Slowly progressing towards down time of quietude and rest
    Feeding, massaging with oil, bathing another feed and laying for sleep
    Dimming the lights in baby's sleeping space

That is the theory, there will be variations. It does not always go to plan. Babies/children do mirror mum's own state of mind. So if you relax too during that routine, the baby will fall asleep faster. But of make it as a chore and a goal to accomplish, then it may become a bit of battle. Hurry is tension and baby picks it up
    Some people just like it to be as it comes. Whatever suits you is right. As long as you both are happy.

Don't get bogged down by too many agendas of bedtimes. Everyone told me off for having my son in my bed past 6 months and keeping awake well past 10 some evenings. I did not take blind bit of notice! Do what feels right for you. Enjoy your baby. It is a very special time. They do grow faster than you can imagine.
    Love

2 people like this.
  3. wanda

wanda New Member

The problem is that just when i get use to her sleeping early at night, the next week she also sleeps very late and that kept me awake the whole night feeling restless the next day.

4. Crowan

Crowan Well-Known Member

Babies can generally do what we have forgotten how to - they sleep when they are tired. Trust her to know what she needs.

2 people like this.
  5. Tashanie

Tashanie Well-Known Member

Your baby will get the amount of sleep she needs when she needs it. Don't rely on baby books or be seduced by what well meaning people may tell you based on what THEY did or how their baby was. Your baby and you are a unique partnership....and what is right for you will be different to what is what is right for others