Healthypages

Ganglion :(

Discussion in 'General Health Discussions' started by lightangel, Mar 19, 2007.

1. lightangel

lightangel New Member

Hey :)
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this.......

I have had a ganglion on my left wrist for about 6years, it has been drained about 3 years ago and came back and when ever i go to the doctors all they say is "They used to drop the family bible on them years ago!"

Obviously don't want to try that in case i do damage to wrist (being a massage therapist)....but don't know what to do anymore. In the mornings my wrist is stiff, i have shooting pains going up my hands and arm and it is making work a painful experience......anyone got any ideas?????

Love and sparkles
    lisa xx

2. mrsbeansprout

mrsbeansprout New Member

RE: Ganglion :(

Hi,

Sorry to hear that your ganglion is causing you pain.
    Both my husband and I have had them on our wrists, so I understand how painful they can be, but thankfully they went away without treatment. I have got a large one on my knee, it has been there for years, thankfully without pain.
    Dropping a heavy object on them is not the best idea!
    Surgery to remove a ganglion is an option, but they often come back even after that so ...
    The best thing to do is give your wrist a rest, but obviously that is not helpful for a massage therapist!
    Apparently aspiration is as you know not ideal either. Having said that if you get a corticosteroid injection, basically a steroid injection, after having the ganglion aspirated it is much less likely to come back. I know steroid injections are uncomfortable, but as your ganglion effects your job I guess it could be worth trying? I am sure your dr can arange for you to have a steroid injection.

Hope you find a solution that works for you soon,
    mrsbeansprout.

3. sparkly_stars

sparkly_stars New Member

I was on a course on saturday ~ and one of the other attendees had a ganglion cyst, which she had surgically removed, although she had to have it doen through private health insurance as she was having difficulty getting it done on the NHS. Surgery was the only way to get rid of it and stop the pain, she too is a massage therapist ~ it may be worth talking to your GO.

x

4. lightangel

lightangel New Member

Thank you mrsbeansprout and holisticheaven :) I will definitrly look into the ideas you have given me....its throbbing right now as im typing this and just want to scream [:mad:]!!!!

Got lots of work on this week and will have to try and fit in a trip to the docs :)

Love and sparkles
    Lisa x

5. Serenwen

Serenwen New Member

Sorry to hear you are in pain, lightangel. I had a few on the back of my hand some years ago. Luckily mine disapeared over time. It's awful when you have problems that affect your job. I'm just back from the podiatrist and he told me I have excessive pronation (?), seems the structure of my feet have collapsed. Will need inserts for my shoes but having small feet means he didn't have any in and I have to wait for him to order some. Part of my job entails a lot of walking on concrete so I'm in a fair bit of pain. I have been trying to reiki the affected area so I will send to you if you wish when I do my painful appendages!!

6. lightangel

lightangel New Member

Thank you serenwen for your offer of reiki..that would be lovely :) Yes it ain't the best when problems affect your job but fingers crossed we will both get better and not be in so much pain!!!!

Love and sparkles
    Lisa x

7. Serenwen

Serenwen New Member

:)Hi lightwind. I have had a look at a site for my feet and found a bit about wrist ganglions. It does suggest wrist splints and I wonder if they would help in your rest periods? Obviously it is difficult for you in your job and wearing one then wouldn't be possible. Am having a reiki 'me' evening and will send to you tonight, I can ask for it to arrive when you are sleeping so it won't interfere with anything you have planned.

8. Serenwen

Serenwen New Member

[:eek:]Sorry sorry sorry! I meant lightangel. I am so sorry forgive me!!

9. lightangel

lightangel New Member

Hey :)
    No worries about the name!!!!! Might just look into that as its all worth a try!! Yes please Reiki when im going to sleep wou;d be fab.
    Love and sparkles and hugs
    lisa x