Healthypages

Fertility testing

Discussion in 'Fertility' started by Lady Lude, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Lady Lude

Lady Lude New Member

Hi everyone
    I intend to ask my Dr for some sort of fertility testing for me and my husband - can anyone enlighten me as to the procedures and what happens please?
    Thanks
    Katharine x

2. Zimba

Zimba New Member

Hi Lady Lude,

usually the initial fertility test will be that a blood sample will be taken from you a couple of days after your usual ovulation. It is important that you know when your last period was and you have a good idea of your cycle length. This blood analysis is taken to see your progesterone levels, which are an indication to see if you ovulate or not. If your blood test is fine then usually your partners semen will be analysed.
    Don't be afraid to talk to your GP about this subject it is very important for you emotionally and psychologically to have the answers to your questions as that could potentially already solve a lot of the worries and concerns you are going through and increase your fertility.

Wish you all the best, Lady Lude and hope for you that you are a fertile couple.

Love
    Zimba

3. SarahReflex

SarahReflex New Member

I'm not sure if this is too late now, but you hadn't had many replies so I thought I'd give details as I know them.

The first tests which are usually done for the woman are blood tests on around day 2 of your cycle (to check LH and FSH hormones - will show if you're in early menopause, have polycystic ovaries), and on "day 21" of your cycle, although it actually needs to be 7 days after ovulation. This one checks your progesterone level to see if you ovulated and if there is enough of the hormone to sustain a pregnancy.

Your doctor may also order other tests, such as a scan to look at your ovaries and uterus, perhaps a laporoscapy to look internally, and a test where they put dye through your tubes to see if they're blocked. They may also tests for certain STDs which can cause subfertility.

Your partner will have a sperm test, which will look at various things like count, volume, mobility, motility and morphology.

That sounds an awful lot but not everyone needs all the tests and they're not all done at once so don't panic!

I wish you luck on your journey towards having a baby. :)

Sarah x