Healthypages

Dry skin

Discussion in 'Skin, Hair & Nails' started by Trudy, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Trudy

Trudy New Member

Hello,

I have quite bumpy skin that has cleared up a little with age. But my skin seems to be so dry at the moment - I guess it has been winter and we've had the heating on a lot but a lot of the time its worse at work - air con perhaps? I find by mid-morning my skin feels tight on my face, no matter what cream I use (although it still looks oily and needs blotting or my hair gets greasy). I often use shea butter on my body, but it is incredibly sticky and thick and not that pleasant.

I am vegetarian and have just started taking some EFA oils in liquid form, which I hope will help in time. And I’ve upped my water intake as well. It’s just really uncomfortable on my face and sometimes when I have blemishes it’s hard to cover them up when my skin is so dry.

Also of late my skin has been incredibly itchy…I wake up in the night and I’m scratching like mad. This is mostly on my legs and stomach but can be elsewhere. No change of washing powder or any obvious things like that.

I just hate the feeling of dry skin…maybe it’s more combination but it’s the dryness I hate. I’m only in my mid-20s and I feel it’s aging me. Any suggestions anyone?!

Trudy x

2. mrsbeansprout

mrsbeansprout New Member

RE: Dry skin

Hi Trudy,

As you say, air con, heating, etc all effect the skin. It sounds as though you are doing all the right things for your skin, ie taking EFA and drinking lots of water, both of which should show positive results soon.

In the mean time you could make sure you are cleansing your face with the best cleanser for you. I have dry facial skin and I have found that it looks its best when I rinse off whatever cleanser I use with a muslin cloth. The cloth really buffs on any dry areas, and seems to help my moisturiser do its job better. I find exfoliating the skin before using mosituriser really does help to keep it in better condition.
    Obviously there are so many different types of moisturiser available, often trial and error is the only way to find one that your skin will love.

I know it's not for everyone, but emu oil is a very good moisturiser for dry skin, and it doesn't feel greasy.
    I use a few different moisturisers, depending on the weather etc, and I have had good results with both grapeseed oil, and olive oil, and soothing calendula cream, although at the moment I am happily smothering my body and face in products from the 'green people'.
    So maybe have a look in your kitchen and try some oils, and hopefully you will be feeling soft and smooth in no time.

mrsb.

3. CubaRuby

CubaRuby New Member

Hi Trudy

I think you would benefit from using an aloe vera based moisturiser. I had similar problems to you and was recommended to use the forever living aloe vera products because they have the highest aloe content. It took a couple of months but now I don't have that dry skin problem at all. It's very soothing and not at all greasy. The particular one that I used also contained vitamin E, plus collagen and elastin.

Cuba

4. Lavander

Lavander New Member

hi trudy,

i have found almond oil very helpfull.
    and i,ve noticed when i'm in stressfull situations ,wether good or bad stress, my skin gets drier. so i keep stress under cotrol post. and negat. mostly trough practising raya yoga meditation and retraining my thinking

sometimes it can be worthwhile seeing your gp, so they can do some research on your hormones,neurological or skin system

good luck

5. Serendipity72

Serendipity72 New Member

Hi Trudy

Coming at your dry skin condition from a different perspective, have you read anything by Caroline Myss? She is a medical intuitive and says that skin conditions often relate to our 7th chakra, the Crown. Issues in our life at the time could be related to our ability to trust life, our values being questioned, lack of courage, selflessness, faith & inspiration or spirituality & devotion.

Namaste
    :)

6. chrystal

chrystal New Member

Hi Trudy,
    Just a bit of my advice for dry skin on the face I'd recommend aloe vera moisturiser - just twice a day after washing, etc. I use the Body Shop's range as they have one for day & one for night. Quite expensive though at around £8-£9 for a pot, so I just buy the night one as it's more emolient and I use that twice a day during the winter months, when my skin gets very dry. It's also OK to have under make-up, etc, as I pop a bit of face powder on an hour later and it's not sticky - as some aloe face products may be too sticky for make-up afterwards.

As for your itchy skin problems- that is difficult unless you have a visible reaction there which a doctor could diagnose. If there is nothing visible on your skin but you're simply itchy, then I can recommend drinking ONE cup of herb tea a day, to stop itchyness. The tea available from health food shops is Nettle tea. I know it's an unusual thing to suggest (!) but trust me on this - I am taking it myself for itchy skin and it really works!I read about it by chance4 months ago so I decided to try it out. Well, the odd day thatI forget to have the tea - guess what? I get itchy again the next day. So that's how I know the stuff works.
    Meanwhile, think about consulting a professional herbalist to ask their advice on the matter, perhaps.
    Good luck with all!
    Chrystal.

7. sunanda

sunanda New Member

Hi Trudy

Well, talk a bout coincidence! I have just now bought a tube of E45 cream (treatment for dry skin conditions is what it says on the box) because I have been experiencing exactly the same as you. However, it's not so much my face as I have an excellent tub of anti-wrinkle cream (!) made by Himalayan Herbals which I brought back from India with me in February. My problems are my hands - dry and sore from washing up without rubber gloves - yes I know! But I also have itchy itchy legs - especially after a shower so I wondered if it was the shower gel (Tea tree oil and lavender, should be OK!) My legs were so dry that if I just rubbed because they were itchy I would take off the top layer and be left with tiny bloody spots. Yeuk....it's horrible. I thought I had fleas or something!!!

Anyway the E45 cream - applied about an hour ago seems to be doing a good job so I'm going to stay with that for a while - it was cheap too!

Love
    Sunanda xxx

8. tedhutchinson

tedhutchinson New Member

There is a difference between treating the symptoms of a problem and eliminating the problem so the symptoms don't arise.
    IMO your first instinct to use EFA's was the right idea. Each skin cell needs the long chain Omega 3 EFA EPA to allow moisture to pass through the cell wall. So having sufficient essential fatty acid will keep cell membranes smooth and soft, and help them do a better job of controlling what goes in and out of the cells. Ideally 2% of your total daily calories consumption shoulc beomega 3 fats.So a person consuming 2000 calories per day would have to eat at least 2 grams of omega 3 fats to meet this target
    Those who eat oily fish will have no problem as a tin of sardines in tomato sauce provide roughly 2g omega 3
    If you are going the flaxseed route then 2 tablespoons of ground linseed provide about 3 g of omega 3
    If you are using the omega 3 fish oil capsules you need to remember that each 1000mg capsule only provides around a third of a gram of omega 3 so to meet the 2g of omega3 in the sardine tin you would need 6 x 1000mg capsules.
    Boosting the omega 3 (particularly EPA) content of your skin not only enhances it's ability to retain moisture it alsopart of the mechanism for Vitamin D synthesis so boosting your omega 3 will help you make more Vitamin d when you go out in the sunshine. Both EPA and Vitamin D3 are an essential part of your skin's photoprotection mechanism so the more omega 3/vit d in your skin the longer you can safely stay out in the sunshine and boost your vitamind status. Remember those in the highest vitamin d status group have 50% lower breast, colon, prostate, ms occurance so failing to get out into the sunshine isthe cause offar (250x) more deaths thanexcessive overexposure resulting in sunburn causes.

9. Amethystcave

Amethystcave New Member

Hi Trudy,

I find that the less I use the better on my skin.
    it sounds like you are making some great choices with your diet.

I'll share what I use as a cleaner - yogurt and oats :D I find that after it I don't need any moisturiser on most days!

When my skin is especially dry (and I find that after winter it gets dryer) I use a home-made moisturiser so I know exactly what is in it - beeswax, emulsifying wax, jojoba oil, rosehip oil, avocado oil, neem oil and some sandalwood, benzoin and frankincense.
    Mmmmmmm, my skin just drinks it up and in a couple of days is looking and feeling much better.

I hope the itchies disappear soon

Amethyst x

10. Trudy

Trudy New Member

Hi all,

Well thanks so much for all the advice. My skin doesn't seem to be so dry at the moment and I think it's due to the amount of water I've been drinking. And I've found it's the regular drinking that does the trick - the constant hydration.

Amethyst - I am very interested in the yoghurt and oaks combination! Please tell me more!

Trudy x