Healthypages

Don't buy from Nutriseed! (at least not vit B12)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Anne Mary, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Anne Mary

Anne Mary Active Member

After cancer treatment twelve years ago I could not absorb vitamin B12 in the normal way. I found out myself - no one told me! - that I had to use a high-strength supplement, but less often, of 1000 mcg. So I did that happily for years and years and it worked fine.
    Eight months ago I needed some more, and as my usual brand, Lamberts, did not seem to supply them at the time, I ordered them from Nutriseed.
    Bad mistake.
    I am now suffering from peripheral neuropathy which is no fun at all.
    I searched the internet and discovered there are two main versions of B12: methylcobalamin and cyanocobalamin. Methyl is excellent; cyano cheap rubbish. The Lamberts one I used to take says 'methylcobalamin'; the Nutriseed one I bought last spring did not say anything. It took me over 14 days to get hold of them and yes, Nutriseed contains the bad, cheap version, cyanocobalamin. Which did not work.

I may never get rid of the neuropathy, such are the dangers of lack of vitamin B12.
    DO NOT buy from Nutriseed, however fanciful their paper packaging!

Ravensnow57 likes this.
  2. Sapphy

Sapphy New Member

HI Anne Mary, Just came across your post so perhaps you have found a good source of B12 by now but if not....... There are actually 4 forms of B12 that you can get. Two are in the form that the body uses directly - adenosylcobalamin (used by mitochondria and found in liver in animals I think) and methylcobalamin, which you said you have been taking when you had the Lamberts B12. The other two versions have to be converted by the body - hydroxyocobalamin and cyanocobalamin. You can now buy all four versions of B12. I recently got some adensylcobalamin in both capsules and drops (100% pure, no other ingredients) so perhaps have a search online. You can also readily buy the methylcobalamin version in health food shops and online.
    Hope the above is of use!

3. Anne Mary

Anne Mary Active Member

Thanks Sapphy. I have since managed to buy the Lamberts one, the methylcobalamin. However it's all gone haywire and probably nothing to do with the B12: I have been diagnosed with motor neurone disease (ALS), hence the weakness etc. Probably.
    Still, I do recommend the Lamberts one over Nutriseed!
    Love, Annemieke.

4. Sapphy

Sapphy New Member

Hi again Annemieke,
    So sorry to hear of the diagnosis of ALS.
    I have been taking high doses of adenosylcobalamin (one of the two forms of B12 I mentioned in my last post that the body uses directly - the second being the methylB12 that you take). I have been taking the high dose for 4 weeks and had no change in my symptoms and fatigue. I then came across a study that said that the body cannot convert methylB12 into adenosylB12 and vice versa. Hence it made me realise that my body needs supplementation of both types of B12. I cannot tolerate methylB12 when I take it as a supplement so I am currently taking cyanocobalamin - purely because I had some and was deseprate. It is certainly makng a difference as my body had lots of small nerve pains in the first 24 hours of taking it, so the body must be converting it to the form of B12 that it needs.
    I've just ordered online some drops of hydroxocobalamn, hoping for better absorption and to minimise the cyanide intake (although it seems this is quite minimal and you get more cyanide in a handful of almonds than a B12 tablet!). The hydroxocobalamin can then be broken down and used by the body to fulfill whichever of the B12's I need.

I thought of you as you mentioned that you only take methylcobalamin. Perhaps you should also take adenoslycobalamin too as your body may be needing that, and not just the methlycobalalmin? Or you could get some hydroxocobalamin drops and that would cover all bases! It may help with the 'ALS' - if indeed that is what it is, as often B12 deificiency is mis-diagnosed as MS, Parkinson's and all sorts of other diseases. It would also explain why you still get fatigue even though you are taking a B12 supplement. You perhaps need the other B12 form more (adenosylB12)?
    Best wishes to you and hope you are feeling better soon :)

5. Anne Mary

Anne Mary Active Member

Dear Sapphy,
    my symptoms are exactly the ALS/motor neurone disease ones. I know B12 def. can be misdiagnosed, and so can Lyme and many others, but I'm quite happy with the ALS, for all the other, unlikely, possibilities are worse. I have no pain, need no medicines thank god, and will eventually die peacefully when I refuse further treatment. I've looked up all the other stuff and don't fancy it! They have tested for quite a few things and as I said, the ALS fits beautifully. I never had fatigue as such.
    I'm sorry about your problems and do hope you find a way out!
    Lots of love, Annemieke.

6. Sapphy

Sapphy New Member

Gosh, thank you Annemieke.
    Yes I mis-read your previous post. Apologies.
    Lots of love to you too. :)