Healthypages

contraindication to hot stones

Discussion in 'Hot Stone Therapy' started by serenity81, Jun 25, 2017.

1. serenity81

serenity81 New Member

I have a client with spondylitis, is it safe to give a hot stone massage to them?

2. Jabba The Hut

Jabba The Hut Well-Known Member

I wouldn't (but I don't offer hot stones!) unless I had a good medical history of the client. If they are experiencing a 'flare', but coming to you because someone has told them it 'might help', they could experience more pain, due to the inflammatory processes in the joints. Could you do simple massage initially, and introduce a couple of peripheral stones, so they can feel the heat - placed on hands/arms/feet for instance?

2 people like this.
  3. serenity81

serenity81 New Member

Thanks for your reply, I had thought about modifying the treatment, so might give that a go and see how we get on.

4. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

And make sure you explain what you are doing with the client, and ensure that they are ready to communicate with you if they feel uncomfortable or unsure of anything. Avoid that common issue that the client is too shy (or British! :D ) to speak up if they're unsure of something, by keeping the conversation going on what you are doing, and by checking they are ok at each step.

3 people like this.
  5. serenity81

serenity81 New Member

thanks I will do, I know exactly what you mean.

2 people like this.