Healthypages

Can't Burp

Discussion in 'Digestive Disorders' started by bigkev, Jun 22, 2005.

1. CarolineN

CarolineN New Member

Hello everyone

Looking at these posts and the very full look at the possibilities posted by gnarlytom above, I would like to hazard a guess as to the cause.

People are eating far fewer vegetables than they use to and the food we eat is far less nutritious than it was - see this link . We are also consuming far more sugar and refined foods than ever before using up the body's limited resources of vitamins and minerals to metabolise them, as a result we are becoming mineral deficient :(.

One of the most important minerals in the body espcially for normal intestinal function is magnesium. This along with zinc and selenium are the three most common mineral deficiencies from the diet. Magnesium's function in the digestive system is to allow the muscles to contract and relax normally (as in peristalsis). When the muscles cannot relax then that can cause all sorts of problems. A high calcium intake, oral contraceptives and other factors can also reduce absorption or increase excretion of magnesium.

Also, in the past many people took 'Andrews Liver Salts' for 'biliary' problems - anyone over 50 may remember them? :) Well, they contain magnesium sulphate - a very cheap source of magnesium. It seems to have gone out of fashion, but I tried it on my husband recently and it has made a difference. It may be worth a try and won't cost you much. Be aware more than a teaspoon can cause loose stools, so if it does, reduce the amount - or just try half to start with to see if it helps.

If you prefer food sources try wheat bran and germ, nuts, tofu, seeds, kale, brown rice, watercress, pineapple, okra, endive, blackberries, raspberries, green lettuce, grapes, beans, strawberries, oats, beetroot, celery, etc. Fish, meat, milk and the most commonly eaten fruits are low in magnesium.

Hope that's of help to some :D

Caroline

2. NeilT

NeilT New Member

Seeing as the last post was within the last 2 weeks I thought i'd post as I found this forum after searching on 'cant burp'.

I'm a 32 year old male, and never been able to burp apart from the very small accidental ones that pop out under extreme laughing or hiccups. I get the gurgling noises alot, especially after lunch (its become an office joke)
    When I was a teenager, I never drank beer or coke while out with friends otherwise I would get more and more uncomfortable to the point I would get hiccups and feel really bloated
    In my 20's a took to wine, and this doesn't really effect me anymore or less than anything else... brandy can actually calm it, but obviously its only possible at home or in a restaurant.
    I have spent some time reading through the forum, and share alot of the symptoms. Lately I have been quite tired and stressed, and this has made it worse. I find my shoulders tense, and have had a few occasions whilst driving where I have had to pull over as I feel so uncomfortable due to shallow breathing and constant 'frog' noises. I too find laying down helps, although at its worse I also feel very bloated, and that brings on another symptom.... I can feel my heart beating, and that stops me sleeping. Normally laying on my left side starts a series of loud gurgles which eases the discomfort (not that my wife finds it that nice :) )

I have tried gaviscon, and chewy antacids, but most don't have any effect.

My diet is quite healthy, although we eat alot of hot (chili) food. I do most of the cooking, and use fresh veg etc in my sauces, very little fat/cream etc, yet that doesn't seem to help. What I would say is I feel worse when we visit family in Germany, and eat alot more bread, particularly at breakfast.

Part of me thinks this is an anxiety thing, my mum suffers from anxiety, although she can burp fine. But i'm defiantly worse if i'm tired, stressed, or before getting a cold etc. On the other hand my dad could not burp until he was 16. He tells the story of going to the pub, drink 2 pints and thinking he would be sick, only to run out the pub and do a huge burp into the bushes, since then he has been able to burp no problem. My 22 year old brother also suffers, whereas my 19 year old brother doesn't.

There are a few things I can do to calm the discomfort though. I can make myself gurgle, maybe its the same action as burping, a sort of push in the chest using musscles. I have to do it alot to get rid of alot of air though. I also feel sometimes like I'm going to burp (more a feeling of being sick), but my reflex is to stop incase i really am sick.
    I should add that although I feel the discomfort/bloating is caused by stress etc, I feel the inability to burp is musscle related. I fart alot, however, I have not been sick for about 20 years. I've had food poisoning twice, both resulted in the runs, but no sickness, and on the rare occasion that I drink far too much I can feel a bit sick, but generally I get an eagar need to poo, and this solves the sick feeling, I guess like it does to people who are sick after lots of alcahol.

Now, having spent the last few days quite uncomfortable, even when i started to write this thread, I have just noticed that the feeling has gone... maybe the concetration took my mind off it.... It seems to be a strange thing, but i'm certainly going to see if i can learn to burp!

Neil

3. steffirichie

steffirichie New Member

I think quite a few people suffer from this kind of problem. This is actually a classic digestive disorder. I know that most of the people with this problem take muscle relaxants to get hiccups/gurgling under control. Best thing is probably to contact a GP to get professional advice on your individual case.

#83 steffirichie, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2009
  4. Evryothrnmwstk

Evryothrnmwstk New Member

Finally!

I am 25 years old and have had all the same problems with not being able to burp my whole life and having stomach problems because of it. I have actually learned to burp. It's strange and amazing. I suspect there to be something physically similar that all of us have in common that kept it from being a natural reaction, but at least with me... over the last 4 months or so, I've gotten to the point where I can actually burp when I need to most of the time. I still can't belch on command or burp the ABCs, but when I feel the need to burp, I can do certain things with my chest, shoulders, neck, jaw, and throat to make a burp happen (sounds more complicated than it actually is once I got the hang of it). Sometimes they're small and sometimes they are big. It did not completely fix my stomache problems, but it is better and i can now better understand which foods upset my stomach, and I can explain it in no other way than to say that it is absolutely glorious. I'm interested to see if I can help anyone else learn how to do this. I hope your search turns out as well as mine did.

#84 Evryothrnmwstk, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  5. debpoulton

debpoulton New Member

Hi all,

I'm so relieved I found this webpage - I am 33 and I've never been able to burp. As I've got older it actually seems to have got worse. I too opt for the fingers down the throat to bring up air. I haven't found anything that really helps though, tried the gripe water that someone mentioned but it doesn't seem to help.

My doctor diagnosed me with anxiety a couple of years ago and put me on prozac. While I was on it, it did seem to work as in there wasn't such a gas build up. However as soon as I stopped it was back within weeks. Everytime I go to the doctors they just seem to think my inability to burp has nothing to do with my digestive problems but having read all these threads I now think its definately related.

I often also get quite dizzy and can't catch my breath properly which is actuallly more scary than the not being able burp.

My doctor has now finally booked me in for some tests at the hospital, but judging from the threads people haven't had a lot of success so I'm not overly optimistic, but if I hear anything different or if any thing works I will definately post on here.

Debs

6. wotsmyusername

wotsmyusername New Member

I am so glad I found this forum/discussion, and like so many others I have now joined the site to post my problem.

So I have the same problem as everyone else on here. I can not burp. Instead I get this weird rumble/gurgle in my chest, which is very embarassing when with friends in the classroom. Sometimes this occurs when I am nervous and makes me very self conscious. However I find this happens every time I do P.E/Sport at school. I feel very tired quickly and my chest tightens. The main effect however is feeling soo very sick, and having way too much saliva in my mouth. My throat seems to contract, making the sickness worse. This in turn makes me more tired and fatigued, making people realise i am tired and gets me some stick for this, which doesn't help. Then when I finish I find I need to sit down because I am so tired. But of course I have sport first thing in the morning so have to put up with it for another 6 hours before I get home. :( After I have arrived at my next lesson, feeling very tired still, I find I get this gurgling in my chest (but never a burp). Then (quite often through the day) I find my throat tightens again, as more saliva is created in my mouth, and I feel as if I am about to be sick. A fewtimes I have been sick, alomst been sick or done an almightily massive belch, with which alot of saliva comes out. However this lasts for approx. 2 mins at a time, and can occur many times through the day. After this 'happening' I feel better for about 5 mins before the whole process happens again. So I have now learned to live with it (after about 5 years now) and put up with it until I get home. I then find I just hsve to lay down as I feel awful, my chest feels tight, I am still experincing these weird feelings in my stomach/chest/throat, and have no energy left at all. After about 5-10 mins I feel great, better than at any time through the day, and usually lay down for about one and a half hours before getting up again. When I get up, the problems all come back, draining me of energy and making the weird noises again. As I say I have learnt to cope with it, but would love a answer as to why this happens. I have been to the hospital with it but they said they have never known anything like it, and can find nothing wrong, apart from saying it is anxiety. It now seems to occur more often than before and is getting worse, bt I can do nothing about it. If anyone knows any thing that helps, explains the problem to me, and everyone else, I would be very grateful.

I thought I would post my experiences for more people to refer to and give my best peice of advice...
    If you havent tried it yet, just lay down, it really does help, until you get up again!

7. CraziiAstheM

CraziiAstheM New Member

Grumble Grumble...

Hello everyone, my names megan,im 14 and i hav the same problem ! i find that sometimes if u try to hold your breath it works, but eating food or drinking always brings the grumbling on... sometimes i start to feel sick or just get really annoyed cuz all you can hear is groan, groan. lol. my mum says i sound like a cow mooing... im sorry but i hav no idea how to stop it only that you can hold your breath or sometimes i hold my throat that sometimes work:confused: soo yea thats it megan x

8. goldcoast

goldcoast New Member

Hi I am new to this forum - for years I have been suffering in silence. Sat here at work I thought I would google "Can't Burp" and found this thread. I am so glad I did.
    I have had these problems for years. I cannot drink fizzy drinks as it makes me worse, I can't eat red peppers as it does the same. I have tried all sorts of over the counter remedies and nothing has worked. I have assumed that I have acute Asthma; but maybe I am wrong.
    Ever since I was a child I could never burp, have always had stomach pains; or growing pains as my mum used to call them. I have had numerous amounts of time off work; due to pains.
    I have resorted to fingers down the throat in the past where a load of siliva has come up and I have managed to belch (ewwww) I know have pains under my left breast and rib cage which I only assume is build up of gas, it comes and goes and is not there all of the time so not overly worried.
    The chrunch came last month I had my tea and that was it I could not breathe....tried everything inhaler etc. Hubby ended up getting the ambulance out they gave me some oxygen and I was OK I settled. Went for a check up at Dr's and she could not say whether it was an asthma attack, but gave me another preventer inhaler. To be honest I think it was anxiety as I could not burp! I tried to explain this but she looked at me as if I were mad.
    Sometimes if I have had peas for tea two days later I can make myself burp and regergate a couple of peas (minging I know) but don't know why it happens.
    I have just come to terms that this is me and this is the problem I have. Hubby thinks I am weird cos I can't burp. At least now I know I am not alone.

Any helpful suggestions on things to try would be appreciated.:D

9. CarolineN

CarolineN New Member

Hi Goldcoast

I have replied in post no 82 below. Please have a look. Try out my suggestions and let us know how you get on!

Failing that, you may need to chew your food better, drink some liquid with meals to help create a more fluid content for the stomach enzymes to work in. It may also be a shortage of digestive enzymes (caused by lack of zinc, stress, etc) and it may be worth trying those.

The stomach should be emptied within four hours of eating a meal, and if it isn't then there is something holding it up - the most common thing being that the food is not being digested properly and it is waiting for that to happen, meanwhile there is a build-up of gas from any digested carbohydrate - which breaks down to form carbon dioxide among other things.

Hope that helps!

10. Gillby

Gillby New Member

Hello, I too have only registered to share my experience with this problem. It's actually my son who can't burp. He's 11. As a baby he was fine, he would bring up wind, but he was never sick, not a sicky baby at all. We used to think it was funny he couldn't burp and the rest of us could - he has a sister two years younger. But for just over two years he has suffered with bad tummy pains, particularly at lunch time when he's at school eating, he either couldn't eat anything or only a little. He also says it helps if he lays down. It's hard being at school when he suffers and as a result he has missed a lot of school. Just lately the pains have been late at night and then first thing in the morning - particularly bad. I feel helpless and hate to see him like this, I don't know what to do to help him. Our doctor is pretty useless, he thought it could be IBS, and he sent him to hospital for some blood tests which came back normal. These were to test for food intolerances - wheat/gluten, etc. The consultant said to put him on a dairy-free diet for 6 weeks, which we are currently about 3 weeks into. Haven't noticed an awful lot of difference with that. I am keeping a diary of how he is from day to day, some days he has diarrea (can't spell it!) then the next day he finds he is constipated which does make you wonder if it's IBS, but I'm sure that the fact he can't burp is a major factor causing his tummy pain. I was so glad to find this site as I felt very isolated worrying about my son. I spent an hour and-a-half reading all the threads yesterday when I found it! So I was determined to post my thread and hopefully it will keep going. I was amazed to find it had started in 2005 and is still going today.

11. goldcoast

goldcoast New Member

Thanks Caroline - anything is worth a try, so will give it a go.....I will keep everyone posted!

12. kvdp

kvdp New Member

Gosh, 5 years since Big Kev posted his problem, I can't even see if he got a satisfactory answer! But if not, he might still be happy to get another view!

I'd say this relates to thoracic mechanics - distortions in the diaphragm can affect the function of the hiatus sphincter (not really a sphincter but a hole in the diaphragm which constricts the oesophagus at the lower end).

The other factor is the neurology of the diaphragm and oesophagus, which involves the phrenic nerve and the vagus nerve, and is affected reflexively from the neck. And of course the global context of the problem.

In short it sounds like a variation of the same problem that causes hiatus hernia. To treat this I'd have to get my hands on you I'm afraid. I know it's been a long time, but if you're still suffering Big Kev, wherever you are, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

13. goldcoast

goldcoast New Member

OK - after searching on the net for relief of not being able to burp etc. I have diagnosed myself as having Laryngopharyngeal Reflux or AKA "LPR" the symptoms include:
    Symptoms of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux are:

• Continual throat clearing
    • Chronic throat irritation
    • Chronic cough
    • Hoarseness
    • Excessive phlegm the throat
    • Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
    • Constant sensation of something in the throat
    • Swallowed food comes back up
    • Post nasal drainage
    • Weak voice
    • Cracking voice
    • Blockage of the breathing passage
    • Spasm of the larynx (voice box)
    • Wheezing
    • Heartburn
    Which I do get. So on this basis I googled natural relief from this, and hey presto found that if you take two teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in either Water (add some Honey as quite bitter) or take with Apple Juice twice a day, it will relieve symptoms. I take first thing in the morning and half hour before my evening meal. I have been taking for a week and symptoms have started to decline and I have shown some improvement, also it makes me burp, however this can happen in mid sentence :eek: ooPs (better out than in though!!)

It is worth a try for anyone that is suffering. I believe you have to be taking it for at least 4 weeks for it to show any signs, but touch wood it seems to be working for me and it is natural. I will say it does make me thirsty so you do need to keep up on intake of water :)

14. waterwench

waterwench New Member

Greetings, I found this forum and website through googling "cant burp" and I am so glad I did google! I am so happy to find others who like me, cant burp!

I am 49 years old and have never been able to burp even as a baby. I have lost count of the times I have vomitted, had to stick my fingers down my throat to burp and been awake with severe gas, like right now. Laying on my side makes it worse, I have tried every known natural remedy without any success and have to take Nexium 40gm to relieve the severe heart burn I suffer. The Nexium works on the heart burn and to some extent has stopped the reflux.

It has now gotten to the stage where I am going to make my Dr listen to me and investigate all of my symptoms. Especially now I know I am definately not the only one who has this problem. I am so sick of the nausea, bloating and pain.

15. pff

pff New Member

another one

Hi

I have the exact same problem with the 'gurgling' as you guys, and had the following treatments done:

1)medication: Baclofen (a strong muscle relaxant): did not work (even when taking a very high dosage);

2) Remergon & doctrazodone (anti depressants): did not work

3) Recently: a cardiac sphincter (UES) dilatation: did not work (actually, it even made it a bit worse);

the only thing thas does help for me is simply sticking my fingers in my throat and 'vomit' all the air out. But in the long run, this just CANNOT be healthy...

I've noticed that anxiety definitely makes it worse.. so now i'm gonna work on that (maybe Yoga or something). But i don' have much hope for the moment that this will provide a solution..we'll see.

16. Tphill

Tphill New Member

I'm 29 and have actually just started learning to burp as well! I believe it's just like any other skill you can learn. I thought of it just like a training program. It seemed like an impossibility to actually burp when I first started to try. As soon as the gurgling sound came up from my throat I tried relaxing my whole body, releasing as much air from my mouth at the same time and moving my head quickly forward slightly. You almost try to make your body go limp. Looks a bit weird. Sometimes sitting down makes it easier. For the first week or two this did nothing but don't become disheartened just keep at it. Just like any other training program it seems so hard at the start. 3 months on now I can burp instead of make those weird gurgling noises I was so used to. They are only small burps and I still can't do it all the time but with more practice I think it's going to be a lot easier.

I've experienced most of the other symptoms listed here all my life and thought I would just have to live with them.

Hope this helps someone.

#96 Tphill, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017