Healthypages

Can't Burp

Discussion in 'Digestive Disorders' started by bigkev, Jun 22, 2005.

1. pumpkin

pumpkin New Member

RE: Cant Burp

My sister can't burp either, hers was caused by being tube feed as a baby.

2. dannyM

dannyM New Member

LmaoI had to reply to this! I'm 20 now and have also never been able to burp.
    I get those embarrasing noises in my chest and throat that take place after I've had something to eat or drink that has bloated me a little.
    Afterlunch times during college, we would sit down in a quiet classoom and low and beholdmy chest would start screeching.. tbh I think it sounds louder to myself than others but still people have questioned me saying "wats that noise" and I wud open my mouth as if to burp and the screech wud take place... looked like some kind of magic trick!:D my mates love it!
    I'm not really bothered by it that much although when drinking beer it can become a bit of a pain as my stomach inflates like a giant beach ball and find it hard to resume on the beers and turn to the vodka;)
    Also if youhave this problem andneed a good way to release air I suggest the following:
    Sometime if i get really bloated andi'm in my house, I kneel forward on the bed and put my head by my knees so my arse is sticking up in the air.. LMAO IT'S TRUE but if u relax your arseand pull your stomach inair will gush out silently... feels much better after a few minute of doing this. :)
    Anywayz it's good to know I'm not the only one!

3. ella bella

ella bella New Member

Hi everyone!
    I've just found this site and registered. I cannot believe other people have this too - I thought I was the only one!!

I've had it for about 10 years since I was at school. It was always so embarrasing when sitting in a quiet room! and really affected my social life.
    I get it all the time - it doesn't really matter what I eat, and when I'm out having a drinkit can get so uncomfortable and I have to heave so that the air comes out.
    I've also never been able to burp and rarely a tiny one might slip out. The 'basement' doesn't have any problems ;)

Please help if anyone knows what can help or cure it.
    It's been the bain of my life!!

xxxxxxx

4. JenterA

JenterA New Member

As with some others here, I registered just for this. I've had this problem my whole life. And of course, like everyone i thought I was the only 1. But I knew I wasn't. I knew google would help me out. Sometimes I can go months without sounding like a frog, but then I can do the frog thing for days maybe. & I can burp. Just can't force myself. I never was able to when I was younger. Just was able to do the involuntary frog throat thing. And unlike others, I was never embaressed by it & my stomach never hurts or bloats. I just would love to force out an earth shattering belch but i can't. Only involuntary burps.

5. Michael Price6

Michael Price6 New Member

hi bigkev, and welcome to healthypages, you may need to see your gp, however, with your age in mind you may like to try artichoke extract tablets

Artichoke leaves contain a wide number of active constituents including cynarin. Artichoke is traditionally used in Europe for the treatment of mild indigestion, particularly following a meal high in fat.

In a recent clinical trial with 553 people suffering from digestive disorders (including indigestion), standardised artichoke extract was found to reduce nausea, abdominal pain, constipation, and flatulence in over 70% of the study participants.

Each Healthy Direct tablet contains 7.2mg of the active ingredient cynarin. [/align]

[​IMG]

[hr]

• Has been found to be an effective treatment for indigestion.
    • Can ease the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome by supporting the digestive function and increasing bile flow.
    • By regulating bile production , Artichoke Extract can reduce nausea and abdominal pain.
    • Artichoke Extract is thought to improve cholesterol balance.
    • Also thought to support liver function.
    [/align][​IMG]

[hr]

As a food supplement take two tablets a day with food or drink.[/align]
    please feel free to ask any questions regarding artichoke tablets

kind regards

mike

6. Jasper

Jasper New Member

I also can not burp, all family and friends have always thought I was very strange!

I know it may sound odd but I really wish I could burp. Sometimes I do a small one and rave about it for ages after!

Sometimes get the grumbling noise you have talked about but not very often! Will never drink fizzy, alcohol is always wine. Tend to feel sick after most meals, although I have learnt to live with it.

Thought about going to see a doctor but thought they would just laugh at me.

Jasper xx :D

7. Trebis

Trebis New Member

Like so many others on this thread, I signed up for an account just now so I could share my experience also.

I hardly ever burp (as in once ever few months, and it is VERY feeble and comes without warning.) I also get the weird chest-gurggles like others here, and have trouble drinking carbonated drinks because they cause chest pain. Sometimes if I am walking around, or doing some sort of exercise after drinking a carbonated drink, I really start to feel awful. First I feel constant gurglings, and then my chest just starts to hurt. I feel like the breaths I take have to be very shallow, and it is hard to exhale all the way. Right after this starts, I start to salivate A LOT. As in, I will be spitting at least once a minute to stop my mouth from completely filling up. It really is miserable, and I can feel that if I could just burp once, I would feel completely normal.

The cure to this horrible affliction is as simple as lying down. The INSANT I lay down, I feel completely fine, 100% back to normal. After sitting or standing back up, after 20 seconds or so, it is all back on just as bad as it was. This has happened to me maybe 10 times, and is actually currently going on (I'm laying in bed typing this right now.)

On a normal day, after eating a normal (non-carbonated) meal, I still get the chest gurgles, but they aren't accompanied with pain. I feel like I need to burp, but i've felt this my whole life so I hardly even notice it anymore.

I was wondering what we all might possibly have in common. I think that, because I can't burp, I also can't eat very much. Due to this, I am generally underweight, with an extremely low body fat. Does everyone else that can't burp look like this also?

Just wondering,
    Wishful-Burper

8. helenlou

helenlou New Member

My daughter who is 13 has exactly this problem, shecannot burp. She suffers fromnausea and stomach / chest discomfort which I think is due to the trapped wind. She also has a phobia of being sick and I wonder if the two could be related. I cant believe how many other people have posted with this same problem.

9. meannod

meannod New Member

My son is 15 andhas this disorder as well. He has recently brought it to my attention. After eating it seems as if the air rises out of his throat not in a burp but just escapes involuntarily with out any control over it. He is very thin as well although he eats well. he does not complain of any pain or discomfort. Sorry I don't have any answers either.

10. Brad94509

Brad94509 New Member

Hi my names is Brad, Im 18 and i have had somthing on the same page of this problem like everyone else is talking about. I registered just to post to this thread just like other people also.

I thought I had acid reflux and the doctors think i have acid reflux do to the frequent heartburn i have. They really don't understand the problem though. It is a lifestyle frustrastion and I wish it would just go away.

I can't do phsyical things after eating...period. I have to lay down just to keep my stomach from contracting and trying to push everything up or push air up that makes me burp. Somtimes i cant breathe at all because my stomach is sucking itself in.

It helps alot to lay down, or put my head down. It also makes me very tired and get headaches from pressure ive put in my head trying to burp.

This is a pretty embarrasing problem because by reaction i have to tilt my head for some weird reason. I think it helps me burp. But somtimes my head wants to just go in different directions.

It is genetic I know for a fact. Because my brother and my mom both tilt their head when they have to burp.

This is definently a stomach problem and has to do with eating and drinking. I find that the problem is very very bad if i go a long time with out eating then eat. And taking antacids takes away my heartburn but not the stomach contractions or feeling to burp and my head tilting.

Eating spicy foods makes the problem just as bad as other things but garlic is my worst enemy. I love soda but it makes my problem worse most of the time.

One thing that is opposite from other people is that my stomach problem is not bad at all in the morning or when im really tired. I think because my stomach is turned "off" so to say. After eating though it starts back up.

Ive learned to live with it, but my jobs haven't. I've been called lazy numerous times because I have to stop to bend over to burp a bunch of times. But this problem also makes me very fatigued and its very frustrating.

I understand everyones pain and i am on the same page, I have gone years and years with this problem since i was about 10-12. I am really suprised to see how many other people have this issue. I used to think i was all alone. So for me it is somewhat of a releif maybe if the problem is adressed enough it will be researched.

11. Jampi

Jampi New Member

Hello

I just see you had simmilar problems like I did.
    Since I heard about drnatura.eu I have been taking Colonix-program
    Now I dofeel much better :)
    I strongly advise to anyone who has digestive or obstipationproblems to check out this
    product, , because it has change my life :)
    The company name is drnatura and it is the most poppular program in US.
    If I can help to anyone with my experience, please feel free to write me.
    Jan

12. Staylor

Staylor New Member

Hi all!

I had great experiences with [link=http://drnatura.eu]DrNatura[/link]'s products too! I'm glad it is becoming more and more known among people, it deserves it. For those who are interested, you can check the discussion on healthypages regarding this topic: http://www.healthypages.net/forum/tm.asp?m=313401 .
    Go for health!

Steve

13. adam_c

adam_c New Member

hay everyone, i have suffered with the same symptoms my entire life, im28yo male. just one point, it seems to me after eating i may be producing to much saliver, some times when im travelling i get the bloating sensation followed by the anxiety, and the only way i can relieve it is to start spitting out saliver, after a while it seems to help. i have tried most things i can think of, i used to stick my fingers down my throat and i would usually vomit air the first two times, then on the third go i would actually vomit. but still this onlyprovides temporyrelief, although i still need to do it on occasions when im feelingreally bloated.it seems to just build up again after a short while, infact the best solution i have found is relaxing. its not perfect or even possible sometimesbut its strange how the symptoms come on, its like there stress related. sometimes the symptoms come on when i have not eaten anything at all.

14. kcb81

kcb81 New Member

I googled "I can't burp" and came to this website. I have the same problem and have had it since I was in middle school. Caffeine makes it worse. I haven't gotten to the point of sticking my finger down my throat. What I do that helps a little is clench my stomach muscles in an effort to squeeze the gas out. I also have acid reflux and sometimes this clenching makes me vomit a little. Not many people are talking about one of the side effects, farting. The gas has to go somewhere and for me it ends up going through my intestine which is uncomfortable. I had no idea so many people had the same problem, my friends just laugh at me and can't understand the concept of not being able to burp. There is a need for a treatment to this ailment I hope we all can find relief.

15. ktbebe_23

ktbebe_23 New Member

Well, well, well. EVERYONE HOLD ON TO THEIR SEATS, I MAY HAVE A SOLUTION.

Ok. I'm a 21-year-old female and have had this belching problem for about 6 years. I had a bad case of bronchitis and one day I woke up and couldn't burp. I tried everything, jumping up and down, to sticking my fingers down my throat, tums, cirucell, ext. I eventally just learned to live with the discomfort and the ridiculous amount of bloating. Burps would get caught down in my stomach, and I would try to work them up, but they would always get caught in my chest or in my throat and then I could feel them go back down into my stomach. My heart would pound at night and I would have to sleep with my arms above my head to stretch me out so I could breathe. The bloating would press up against my lungs and make me feel like I was going to pass out when just trying to walk. This gave me panic attacks. When I would lay down, food and liquids I just consumed would come back up. It was awful! I always felt so full of air and wanted to throw up, no to mention the gas, how horrible. I would have to sit up in bed at night or after eating, or just whenever and beat on my stomach and chest just to get some air up to help.

I finally went to see a gastroenterologist last year and he put me on all the stupid stuff for acid reflux and nothing worked. He had me do a barium swallow (the worst I have ever felt in my life, and they could still see NOTHING wrong with me). And then I also had an upper GI (upper endoscopy) performed, and still nothing. He then assumed it was a muscle problem and put me on a medication called Diasepam. I went ahead and took the one pill a day thinking nothing would happen, and guess what? I HAD RELIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now here's the catch: Diasepam is mainly intended for anxiety, but can also be used for muscle spasms. The bad part is that it is a narcotic, and can become addictive, and is a form of Valume. After taking it for sometime I felt SO MUCH BETTER. And after I had been on it for sometime and I tried to stop taking it to see if I could function well without it too, I unfortunately went right back to the way I started. When I take this medication, I can belch, but only very loudly and very largely. It stopped the food traveling back up me when I lay down, and best of all, it stopped the bloating (to an extent). I never feel sick anymore!!!! It doesn't work 100%, but I'd give it a good 70%. I feel somewhat normal again! I have noticed that when I chew or drink (and you should look for this too) is that I swollow a ridiciulous amount of air when I am eating. My diagnosis of myself is that my muscles are too tense ornot workingcorrectlyto let air up, and to make matters worse, I have a problem to where I swollow too much air (the doctor had a name for that condition). Unfortuately I still have a seriously bad amount of gas, but it's definitely better than being sick all the time and I can BURP!!!!

It will probably take some convincing to get your doctor to put you on this medication, but let me tell you, it has changed my life and made me feel so much better. I am still seeing other doctors to try to cure me altogether, so let's cross our fingers and hope one of us figures it out. I just think it's so silly that we have to be put on such a serious medication to give us relief. I really do assume it's a muscular problem.

16. ktbebe_23

ktbebe_23 New Member

Just correcting myself a bit . . .

The drug I take is spelled Diazepam, 1 pill a day at 2 milligrams.

It is a form of Valium.

When you swallow too much air when you eat, drink, chew gum, suck on stuff, etc. it is called aerophagia.

17. celts34

celts34 New Member

like everyone i registered just for this forum.

I am 18 and I have the same problem as many of you and have never burped in my life. My mom says even as a baby i would vomit instead of burping.I get the same symptoms as many of the other posts such as the gurgle and bloating. I have been able to live with this problem until I'd say junior year in High School when i started to realize I had a problem.When I would go to a party and drink beer it was obvious i physically could not burp.It felt like all the air was just tarpped in my stomach until i kept drinking and the air forced its way out with everything else in my stomach.When the air builds up I just vomit.This also happens with anything carbonated such as soda.I went to see a gastro doc and he sent me for a GI barium thing (which completely sucked) and it showed it takes me 3 hours to digest food. Dont know if that has anything to do with the burping. i went to a new gastro and im having an endoscopy on wednesday and this guy says he most likely wont do anything for me except give me dieting tips unless he finds something wrong with the anatomy of my stomach or intestines. Im getting pretty aggrivated because a simple thing like burping would improve my life so much. I want to gte a cure for this before college so I am able to go out and drink like every other normal human being who goes to college! I will bring up that medicine that the last post just said but im willing to bet he will not prescribe it because he seems like an ass. Anyway just sharing my story and if i find out anything after my endoscopy that can help you guys ill repost again.

Keep this post going as long as we can!

18. ktbebe_23

ktbebe_23 New Member

Yeah, both of my gastroenterologists are stupid. They won't even listen to what is wrong with me. They're just like, "More tests. More tests. More tests." I've had a barium swallow where after they made me swallow all that white junk and then take a tablet so they could watch it go down, and the tablet got stuck in my chest and wouldn't go down because I was so full of air.Allof my expensive tests haveproven unconclusive, even though during all of them I have felt the worst I have ever felt in my life. It's very hard to believe that for as bad as I felt that they could not have noticed something wrong. Anyways, my both of my doctors argue whether or not I should be on this medication. But think about it this way:

If none of the DIGESTIVE tests are showing anything, and I am on a MUSCLE RELAXER, and that has helped tremendously, wouldn't you assume that it is a MUSCLE problem we have? One of my gastroenterologists has even said that he didn't know if what we were dealing with was even a digestive problem, although it's easy to assume it is because it deals with belching. My next step is to get an appointment with a muscle specialist, if there even is such a thing.

Also, unfortunately you cannot drink (or shouldn't) while on this medication. Believe me, I've tried, and after one beer I feel like hitting the floor. My gastroenterologist warned me that it makes the effects of alcohol 10 times stronger if not more, and I believe it. Makes me a very, very cheap drunk that's for sure. Anyways, whenever I know I'm going to drink, I just don't take my medicine that day and just deal with it. Usually works out fine.

19. celts34

celts34 New Member

Well Im hoping that theresa less strong medication than the form of valume thatyou're on because valume + alcohol= bad news..when I went to the first gastro guy he said there are many types of medicines that relax the smooth muscles which help burping..but Im not sure if those are safe with alcohol..Even if they arent safethe medicine would just help me every day when i eat so i would still love it. But on the days that you don't take the medicine can you still burp or do your symptoms go back tothe way it wasif you skip a day?

20. ktbebe_23

ktbebe_23 New Member

The day I don't take it is usually alright. I mean, towards the end of the day I can tell that I haven't taken it but it's not severe like it normally is. After about 2 days, I am right back to how I started, and I feel terrible and can't burp and get all bloated, etc.