Healthypages

Burning in the chest - acid-like

Discussion in 'Digestive Disorders' started by HEALTHYBRIAN, Jan 9, 2011.

1. HEALTHYBRIAN

HEALTHYBRIAN New Member

Hello All,

I would like to ask for ideas for my father-in-law:

Has been having burning in the chest like acid feeling. Went to GP but given tablets which made it worse so he stopped it. This has been going on for 1 week but hes had this before...

Pleas suggest herbal or natural remedies.

Thank you.

PS What could it be? Is it Acid Reflux?

2. myarka

myarka New Member

If the GP perscribed medication that hasn't worked, then he should revisit GP to ensure that it's not something else.

Burning in the chest can be caused by several things, some serious and some not, so I think it's important for the GP to diagnose the problem first.

Myarka

3. CarolineN

CarolineN New Member

Heartburn has a variety of causes often with other health problems involved. Without a full assessment it would be difficult to give any useful advice.

I agree with Myarka to get him to revisit his GP.

4. SCo4452

SCo4452 New Member

Dear Brian

Yes, he should go back to the doctor and persist in trying to get a diagnosis. It may be something serious, maybe not.

Meantime, it is a good idea to avoid foods which can provoke heartburn. These include coffee, tea, vinegar and any sauces etc which contain it, spicy foods like curry and fatty, fried foods (so no bacon for breakfast). Smoked foods like kippers can also make heartburn worse.

Peppermint tea is good for helping calm the digestive system down, and camomile is a good general relaxant. Neither has an unpleasant taste - just don't add milk to them! Rooibos (redbush) is a tea which is free of caffeine, gentle on the tummy and most people quite like it. South Africans swear by it as a cure-all!

Eating a daily portion of proper probiotic yoghurt (such as Rachel's Dairy or St Helen's Farm etc) may also help as this will assist in maintaining or restoring the balance of bacteria in the digestive tract. In combination with this, try getting him to eat foods with plenty of fibre - wholemeal bread, porridge, muesli, oatcakes etc.

These measures may well help the heartburn but in any case they are good health-promoting suggestions! Do get your father-in-law to go back to the doctor if the symptoms are still there, though.

Hope he feels much better soon - he is lucky to have a caring son in law like you.

Best wishes
    Sarah Collins

5. HEALTHYBRIAN

HEALTHYBRIAN New Member

Hi all

he went to the GP hes told its gallbladder thing,.....

hope it gets well....

i have advised ACV,