Healthypages

Autism and Vitamin D3

Discussion in 'Autistic Spectrum Disorders' started by tedhutchinson, May 28, 2007.

1. Rustic

Rustic New Member

RE: Autism and Vitamin D3

As your post has not prompted a moderators intervention, I am assuming that there are no moderator objections to my making a response.

Firstly we had mothers being given the impression that they could have avoided a child's autism if they had supplemented with vitamin d during pregnancy, or got more sunshine.
    This then led to implying that anyone who didn’t follow the vitamin d advice that you gave was committing a form of child abuse, despite the fact that you appear to know nothing about the realities of bringing up a child with autism.
    Then claims that parents could sneak in at night with a sun lamp and give their autistic kids a quick uv top up, or bake cookies with hidden vitamin d without taking professional advice, despite their being enormous implications to an autistic child unrelated to vitamin d. You are also implying that you can treat autism with vitamin D, though the websites you quote to support this say nothing of the kind. None of the experts you quote are actually claiming to be able to treat autism with vitamin D. They are suggesting that vitamin D during pregnancy MAY help prevention.
    Now you are implying that families would deliberately not seek help to reduce their child’s disability/autism because of the financial loss of such benefits as DLA, which most parents of special needs children would find grossly offensive. This only shows your complete lack of understanding or empathy with parents who are bringing up children with disabilities.
    I have not stated that autistic children should be kept vitamin d deficient. I have stated that I would choose a holistic treatment plan taking all the individual factors for a child into account rather than supplement with large doses of vitamin D alone.
    For having dared to have expressed an opinion that does not coincide with yours, I am somehow deserving of your contempt, along apparently with the cancer charity and the MS society (although what they have to do with autism I don’t know). Having looked at their websites referred to by you, they seem to attach importance to vitamin d, though perhaps not as aggressively as you would like.
    You state “I don't understand why you are not supporting my endeavours to encourage optimal vitamin d status in the public in general and more particularly in those with Autism. But maybe there is a reason. “
    Would you support anyone who is touting a miracle cure for autism, who obviously knows nothing about autism, who refuses to answer direct questions, stating that the questioner must be bonkers if they don’t agree with you? Who is insistent that your side of the discussion must provide evidence for something that you haven’t even stated, whilst they don’t have to because what they say is common sense?[sm=rollaugh.gif]
    You are, quite frankly, the most offensive person I have ever had the misfortune to enter a discussion with, on this or any other forum.
    Now do you understand the reason? ;)

2. tedhutchinson

tedhutchinson New Member

Those who are aware of the role of vitamin d in the development of the brain know that Vitamin D status of the mother directly impacts on the development of the fetus brain size. This is what the section Is vitamin D required for normal brain development? is detailing. It is a matter of fact that Vitamin d affects brain development that is why it is crucial that all mothers get plenty of vitamin d irrespective of whether or not the malformation of the brain due to low vitamin d status leads to autism or not. It isn't the mothers fault it is the fault of the medical profession not keeping up to date with the latest research. While they are waiting for the penny to drop it is important that others do not put future generations at risk. But if mothers take the prenatal vitamins and follow current medical advice they will be vitamin d insufficient, you cannot blame them, it is the quantity/quality of vitamin d in the vitamins that is at fault, it is the sunsmart advice they are given that is wrong. That is why you cannot trust health professionals advice on vitamin d at the moment. It is not based on the latest science. It is wrong, it is dangerously misguided. It understates the amount of vitamin d that is needed. It misleads mothers into remaining Vitamin D insufficient. It is current advice/information/vitamin d supplements that needs changing and I blame the Health Professionals not the mothers.

As you know I am fully aware of the difficulties of dealing with autistic children which is why avoiding confrontation may be a useful strategy. I do believe that knowingly allowing your child to remain Vitamin d insufficient is tantamount to child abuse as would be deliberately failing to provide sufficient food or water.
    The use of whatever means necessary to correct vitamin d insufficiency, which [link=http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/85/3/860]most UK citizens demonstrate, [/link]is vital if further damage to the child/adult is to be avoided. It is the Vitamin d insufficiency state that is being corrected, whether this impacts on the Autism will be useful information which I hope readers to this forum will feed back. I'm sure many have tried using Cod Liver oil, and may have found it helpful, it is a good source of Vitamin d probably the best food source but not sufficient on it's own therefore even if you use Cod Liver Oil more vit d from other sources may be needed to correct Vitamin d insufficiency.
    You are wrong. see this page [link=http://www.vitamindcouncil.com/health/autism/vit-D-and-brain.shtml#hd2]http://www.vitamindcouncil.com/health/autism/vit-D-and-brain.shtml#hd2[/link]why can't you see that if the argument here is correct, then reducing the inflammatory process will lead to a reduction of further damage caused by the inflammation.

3. Rustic

Rustic New Member

"As you know I am fully aware of the difficulties of dealing with autistic children which is why avoiding confrontation may be a useful strategy. I do believe that knowingly allowing your child to remain Vitamin d insufficient is tantamount to child abuse as would be deliberately failing to provide sufficient food or water. "

"The use of whatever means necessary to correct vitamin d insufficiency, which [link=http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/85/3/860]most UK citizens demonstrate, [/link]is vital if further damage to the child/adult is to be avoided. It is the Vitamin d insufficiency state that is being corrected, whether this impacts on the Autism will be useful information which I hope readers to this forum will feed back. "

"It is harmless. It is cheap."

Avoiding confrontation may be a useful strategy? [sm=rollaugh.gif]

Whatever means necessary?

You appear to be stating that, not reinforcing food phobia by forcing a child to take a supplement they may or may not need, or being prepared to risk serious injury to parent or child by the forced use of a sunbed is the equivalent of not providing food and water and tantamount to child abuse? What planet are you on??

On what experience do you claim you are “aware” that there are difficulties of dealing with autistic children? What do you think would be the results of an autistic child waking up in the middle of the night to find that the people they trust have invaded their personal space with strange equipment and have removed their night clothes to treat them by force?

Do you not think that what you are proposing might have a serious effect on a child’s anxiety levels, or make the child afraid to go to sleep again in case it happened again? Or that a confrontation in the middle of the night (or any other time) could cause serious injury to a child or a parent? Have you not heard of self-injurious behaviour? Extreme sensory issues?

Do you honestly hope that readers of this forum who aren’t deliberately keeping their children disabled in order to milk the benefits system will feed back information about such forced treatments, obtained by “any means necessary?” to support Dr Cannell’s unsubstantiated THEORY which doesn’t get past the fact that for CENTURIES, environmental conditions and social customs of many societies meant that they did not receive the amount of sunlight now being proposed as being necessary to be vitamin d sufficient? That these cultures somehow found ways of avoiding epidemics of degenerative disease and autism without supplementing with large doses of vitamin D? i.e. that there may be other factors to take into account?

And for what at the end of the day? To provide “feedback” for your personal vendetta against the health professionals who you seem to think us poor misguided parents think we need to consult before opening a tin of sardines? For your vitamin d/autism crusade, which in any event will at best be described as “anecdotal? ” Based on experimental procedures that I suggest wouldn’t even get past the ethics committee acting on behalf of the average lab rat, let alone a child with autism?

And the most outrageous thing is that you are expecting parents of autistic children to do it for you in a mass uncontrolled experiment which would be laughed at by the “experts” you hold in such high regard…………… well if that doesn’t take the (vitamin d soaked) biscuit. [:'(]

4. tedhutchinson

tedhutchinson New Member

Well that just about takes the biscuit.

The experiment that the health professionals deployed and is still ongoing is to artificially restrict Vitamin d supplies by suggesting that all sun exposure is dangerous and before people go outside they should either cover up or apply sunblock. Suggesting that people return to the days when regular limited sunexposure without sunscreen was general practice is not an experiment it is simply recognising the fact that we evolved with a skin colour appropriate for the latitude of the indigenous people of that skin colour. see Google images allowing the skin to work in the way it naturally evolved for isn't an experiment it's common sense.

The result of this mass experimentation is found in the low levels of vitamin d which the majority of the UK/USA population now experience. We cannot blame health professionals for acting as they did 20 yrs ago when the role of Vitamin d was unknown. But we do now know that Vitamin D is used in tissues all over the body, these tissues manufacture the metabolite that fights infection and cancer proliferation in situ as the need arises. Now we know that Vitamin d isn't just for bones but for the stable operation not only of the brain but enzyme reactions throughout the body, it is imperative that everyone (particularly those with autism) has optimal Vitamin d status.

If you want the best for your child, autistic or not, you will try to ensure they have adequate exposure to sunlight or the nearest equivalent. The skin is your largest peripheral endocrine organ. It needs exposure to sunlight or equivalent to operate in the way nature intended. Of course no one should risk harming their child in the process but the reader must be aware that low vitamin d status allows so many chronic conditions to flourish that every effort should be made to rectify an insufficiency situation where this is suspected.

You may be interested to know that my suggestion for dissolving a Cholecalciferol capsule in oil and applying that to the skin is in fact an orthodox way of supplying Vitamin d as there is a Transermal D3 cream that does the same job.
    Having antimicrobial peptides operating on the skin surface is part of your immune defence strategy, ignore this fact and you have a less than optimal immune system, if sunlight/sunlamps aren't an option then maybe a cream might help.

5. Holistic

Holistic New Member

*** Moderator's post ***

Please may I remind you of Moonfairy's post # 13 above:

And in particular the excerpt from the forum guidelines with regard to personal attacks and negative attitudes.

Rustic, in response to your comment:

May I respectfully point out here that it is simply not possible for the moderators to immediately read every post as and when it appears on the forums, so such an assumption is perhaps best not made.

In principle, of course, there is no objection to responses, but we do ask that members adhere to the forum guidelines and in this instance regarding HOW they respond.

Holistic
    On behalf of the Moderating Team

6. aspmama

aspmama New Member

I tried D3

Hi. Sorry to break in on an old argument. Just wanted to say, I read Cannell's hypothesis on the Vit D council site, and it was a possible fit with my experience in pregnancy - which was in the winter, and I would have had very little D from diet. My Asperger's son is a March baby. I didn't supplement while breastfeeding because I didn't realise my milk would be low in D. And he got v little D, almost none, from then till v recently because he doesnt eat fish or eggs and dislikes the sun.
    So I thought it was worth trying supplementing him, little to be lost if I watched carefully to make sure the known side-effects didn't occur. And - of course it could be down to other things, he's not in a bubble - his mood changed remarkably, his separation anxiety almost vanished, his cheeks became pink, his concentrationa and socialbility also improved.
    It could be a coincidence. Or it could be that there is something important in this D theory for maybe a sub-section of autistic children. There is research going on into this now, so we may have the first results soon. Meanwhile, there would be no harm in having autistic children tested for their D status and supplementing if it is low. At the worst it will help their bones and perhaps their teeth.

7. kcatdeejay

kcatdeejay Member

tedhutchinson, there are none so blind as those who will not see. I endorse ALL of your comments in the area of well-being and only wish all of those afflicted with cancer would feel as great as I do.

kcat

8. Maya

Maya New Member

Hi there, I haven't read all the posts, however I read something recently written by Bernard Rimland Ph.D. who talks specifically of Vit B6 and magnesium:

http://curezone.com/art/read.asp?ID=79&db=2&C0=1

Andrew Wakefield did a significant amount of research on treating the gut, which is normally abnormal in Autistic children, with very good results. (now sadly discredited by GMC, but for all the wrong reasons). Thankfully, other researchers are now proving his theories to be true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIsFW5phHas

9. Maya

Maya New Member

10. ava

ava New Member

Hi Maya

I have a bit of a personal interest in magnesium at the moment from the mood and digestion perspective... rather than any interest in autism. Hence as I was hoping to find out more interesting stuff about magnesium I found Dr Rimlaud's testimony very disappointing since the only text on magnesium and B6 in it was as follows!!

"...almost half of all autistic children and adults respond favorably to high doses of vitamin B6 and magnesium., with no adverse effects."

That's it. Nothing else! I'd love to know more - so do you know of anything more substantial on the subject that you could point me towards? I'd be very grateful if you could.

Thanks so much, Ava x

11. pumpkinn

pumpkinn New Member

If you are interested in correlation between Autism and Vitamin D, nagalase in vaccines may be it!

Dr James Bradstreet has so far treated 11K patients with GCMAF with 85% response rate. 15% of patients with a total eradication of symptoms.

#31 pumpkinn, May 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2016
  12. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

Allegedly.
    He's somewhat of a controversial character... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bradstreet
    (And yes, Jeff Bradstreet is the same as James Bradstreet)

Interesting that his own son has autism. I guess he didn't cure him with any of his treatments. And as for "has so far treated".... I guess there won't be any more considering he appears to have taken his own life after being raided by the FDA.

That's not to say that he didn't perhaps have some truth in what he said about vaccines being bad for children. But he's hardly considered a reliable source of scientific study.

13. pumpkinn

pumpkinn New Member

If any parents looking for GCMAF, other than injection, there is Bravo yoghurt! It's based in Australia but you could try their kit and see if it works for your child. This would be great if you want to prevent cancer as well. Nagalase is everywhere and you probably have injected/ingested it.

14. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

Do you have any scientific evidence to back up your claim that it can prevent cancer? Otherwise you are making an illegal claim.

15. pumpkinn

pumpkinn New Member

Take your pick!
    In the article below, there is a list of illnesses GCMAF is used for treatment. But be careful, it's given by an alternative clinic. Even though some of the doctors hold Prof. Emeritus title, you never know... holistic clinics are dodgy, aren't they? :rolleyes:
    http://www.naturalnews.com/050553_Dr_Bradstreet_GcMAF_cancer_therapy.html
    https://www.plos.org/search?q=nagalase
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GcMAF

Obviously you have not read or watched any video on Nagalase giles hence you are clueless. Educate yourself on Nagalase and what it does. This is the information pharma industry wants to hash up. Whether it's cancer cure or prevention, loss of revenue is no good for the pharma industry. You should know that's why Complimentary therapies, such as Homeopathy, are frowned on. Why does anyone has to go to the entent of killing holistic doctors if their findings were just fluff? Surely, right debate have debunked their findings but obviously they couldn't. Hence killing was the only option to shut them up. Nice! o_O

#35 pumpkinn, May 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  16. Crowan

Crowan Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone who is on the aspergier's spectrum, I make slight objection to the notion that it is an illness or condition to be avoided.
    Although this may be so at the far reaches of kenners, it is not so for all of us.

17. pumpkinn

pumpkinn New Member

If I offended you, I'm sorry it wasn't meant to be. I was speaking in very general term and I didn't know you fell into the group anyway.
    Yes some people possess very special ability and some parents struggle. Very wide spectrum.
    In one of the mind control video, it was mentioned that spies' brain stem has been purposefully scared in op to create a photographic memory. Did you know? Fascinating that such thing causes photographic memory.

18. Crowan

Crowan Well-Known Member

I'm not offended at all (and this might be Asperger's in itself - I take things and face value and don't often get offended). Yes, it's a hugely wide spectrum and some people struggle more than others - and some parents struggle when the children are quite happy. I just felt it was worth pointing out that there is another viewpoint.

2 people like this.
  19. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

As I suspected. You made a claim that it can prevent cancer, yet there is no scientific evidence to back that up, as clearly indicated in the Wiki link.
    It is illegal to make claims of a cure for cancer without evidence to back it up.

I'm anything but clueless, though thanks for your professional opinion (as flawed as it is), and I'm very well educated and informed on many of the subjects you are posting about, though find myself unable to bother to go into the details, as much of what you are posting is nothing new and has been discussed many times before, yet still remains unproven speculation. The issue I have is that you are posting things and claiming they are proven facts, and in some cases, as above, making claims that are in fact illegal, yet the only 'evidence' you can provide is unproven speculations and theories. You have no evidence to prove that holistic doctors have been killed because of their methods etc. you are just regurgitating what has been speculated by conspiracy theorists for years. It's no more than preaching a belief system.