Healthypages

Apple cider vinegar

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by HEALTHYBRIAN, Aug 21, 2010.

1. HEALTHYBRIAN

HEALTHYBRIAN New Member

Hello

Anyone who is doing the ACV drink with 1/2 tsp of baking soda or bicarbonate of soda?

This is for candida stuff...

Any results?

2. Treetop

Treetop New Member

I've started drinking a teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of water, either in the morning before I have tea or in the evening after I exercise. It is actually quite refreshing and not too vinegary. I bought some litmus test strips and it definitely works to make my urine more alkaline. My body is much too acid from too many sugars and starches -- I'm a carboholic.

3. dogwoman

dogwoman New Member

What is the purpose of combining vinegar and baking soda to combat yeast? The acv in a glass of water should be sufficient to combat yeast.

When I was a kid there was a bath tub toy, a boat which was powered by mother filling it with vinegar and baking soda. The mixture produces a lot of fizzing (which would be gassy in one's digestive tract).

#3 dogwoman, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  4. ava

ava New Member

Hi Brian

Earth Clinic has a huge page of how/when to use ACV + bicarbonate and testimonials from the community.

Be aware that in the US they call bicarbonate 'baking soda'... which to us here is something completely different. In the UK 'baking powder' is cream of tartar, arrowroot/cornflour and bicarb, whereas bicarb is the shortened term for bicarbonate of soda (normally sodium bicarbonate).

I've not used the mix myself, but there are dozens of testimonials above to give you an idea of what folk think it helps (or not).

Ava x

5. orangeblossom

orangeblossom New Member

Need to be a bit careful with ACV I went on Earth Clinic and it is hailed as the cure all for practically everthing.

I took it hoping to help with my high cholesterol but it ended up giving me bad indigestion so I had to stop.

6. CarolineN

CarolineN New Member

To my knowledge, (correct me if I'm wrong) if you mix an acid (eg AC vinegar) with an alkali (bicarbonate of soda) then the two react and break down into carbon dioxde and water with a residue salt. I cannot see the benefit of consuming this as a mixture as it will undoubtedly produce gas in the stomach and may cause bloating.

ACV has long been a digestive aid, helping to replace lost acidity in the stomach to prepare proteins for digestion by their protein enzymes (pepsin etc).
    It also has the advantage of helping to alkalise the body, thus changing the internal habitat for the gut flora. The beneficial flora flourish in a more alkaline environment and help to keep the 'bad' bacteria and fungi under control, so helping the body to remain slightly alkaline can have many benefits.

I have yet to be convinced about drinking bicarbonate of soda in water as a means of helping to alkalise the body as it will contact the stomach acid and react as above. Once neutralised does it then do anything? I am not sure of the chemistry involved here. Sorry, I haven't looked at the link yet Ava.

In order to alkalise the body it is far better to consume alkalising foods - mostly fruit and veg - see here for some ideas. These need balancing out with about 20% acid-forming foods - preferably not sugars and refined carbohydrates.

7. ava

ava New Member

My understanding, and I should have read up on this so that I represent it properly, is that it is the malic acid which is the important component of ACV. The addition of bicarbonate (only a small amount) reduces the acidity and protects the teeth - I think that's all it's for, so that people can take it long term. Folk are quite right to be cautious about following advice from Earth Clinic - cos ACV (and H2O2 and oil pulling) are flagged as cures for everything under the sun. Whilst I can't substantiate it without reading up on it properly first - there are no adverse affects with the stomach for the bicarb+ACV mixture. I'll post up the material supporting that tomorrow.

I'll share the details of this with you when I return to this post tomorrow. I've used bicarbonate, and it is excellent for improving the overall efficiency of the digestive system. The theory is that it is the subsequent increase in the stomach's pH when food leaves the stomach which triggers the production of bile salts. Taking 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate 1-2 hours after a meal mimics this when the body isn't doing it naturally - as is frequently the case with folk who have general digestive problems.

Sorry for putting up an incomplete post. I was tempted in by the subject matter, but don't have the resources at hand to support what I'm saying.

Ava x

#7 ava, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2010
  8. HEALTHYBRIAN

HEALTHYBRIAN New Member

Treetop:

How are you doing with ACV and water every day? Is it really alkalising?