Healthypages

Anyone recommend a kneeling chair

Discussion in 'Back Problems' started by Sleepy Dragon, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Sleepy Dragon

Sleepy Dragon New Member

I have been advised to invest in a kneeling chair/stool for use at work.

Can anyone recommend a model to be used around 5-6 hours daily???

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place - couldn't see where else to put it!!

Thanks

Julie

2. Jabba The Hut

Jabba The Hut Well-Known Member

5-6 hours? You may find this difficult! I use one when I'm working on my PC, but can only manage to sit for around 50 minutes, then I have to have a wander - go for a water break etc. They take a bit of getting used to. Mine is made by Balans and is very comfy. Had it for around 20 years! Re-upholstered 10 years ago. They are not cheap - will your office pay part?

3. Sleepy Dragon

Sleepy Dragon New Member

I will be taking breaks in the 5-6 hr period!!! That's just the length of time I'm at work for and I'm up and down off the computer all day as I work in a schooloffice.

Hopefully the council that I work for will pay for it - they're quite into health & safety so gosh I hope so!!! probably looking around £150 max

4. myarka

myarka New Member

Have you checked with your Health & Safety officer that one of these chairs complies with the law because they do not provide support for your arms?

Myarka

5. Sleepy Dragon

Sleepy Dragon New Member

Gosh no I haven't - I had better have a word with our health & safety team at the council before ordering anything - thanks for the heads up!!

6. scoobylw

scoobylw New Member

Hi sleepydragon

Have you looked at the The Swopper stool - I set out looking for a knealing chair but ended up getting one of these instead. It's fab ! Have a look at the Back in Action website.

love lou xxx

7. SHELLYC

SHELLYC New Member

Try a "Back Friend" instead

This is a portable "seat" which fits on top of any normal chair. You can use it at your desk, in your car, at the dining table etc. Its much cheaper at around £50. I found it great before and after I had my surgery and I would recommend it to anyone. Just search for it on the internet - I think it may have been a company called Back in Action but I can't be sure. A few places sell it so look for the cheapest.

8. Energylz

Energylz Moody-rator ©
    Staff Member

Hi,

There's a good range of kneeling chairs here:

http://www.backinaction.co.uk/?action=kneeling

I have one that looks the same as the "posture chair" on their site, but I got mine from Argos years ago (looks like Argos don't do them any more). Not sure if I could sit on it all day, but it looks like they have some there that would suit that need better.

As for health and safety at work, it can depend on what work you are doing. I've never know that arms on a chair are an actual h&s requirement, but having the arms comfortable for the work you are doing is important, so if you're at a computer all day, having something to rest the elbows on while you type could be consider a h&s requirement. There are good office chairs now with good lumber support and adjustable heights and angles etc. to allow you to get the most comfort for you. Perhaps consider looking at those various models and then get your company to buy one for you.

;)

All Love and Reiki Hugs

9. MarkHallam

MarkHallam New Member

I don't know if you have sorted this yet, but I do suggest having a kneeling chair that has a backrest if you are sitting on one for 6 hours a day! Kneeling chairs are great but you could end up slouching after a while.
    BE WARY OF CHEAP kneeling chairs though, they can put too much pressure on your knees!

Good luck:)

#9 MarkHallam, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2010