We’ve all heard of yoga and seen how it’s practised – whether it’s celebrities carrying mats or images of impressive poses on social media. But yoga is far more than just a fad. This practice, which can have many positive outcomes, is thousands of years old and originated in India.
In this blog, we explore three fantastic health benefits of regularly practising yoga.
1. Boost circulation
Important for good skin, healthy bones and general well-being, circulation refers to blood being moved around the body. Exercise is hugely important for boosting circulation and this in turns brings a whole host of fantastic benefits. Inversions such as headstands help stop blood pooling in the feet and boost circulation. Yoga flows such as a Vinyasa class keep the body moving and warm – particularly useful during the cold, inactive winter months.
2. Increased strength
Flexibility is seen as one of the biggest pros of regular yoga practice but strength is just as important, if not more so!
Yoga works core muscles and a full vinyasa or hatha class will work all the major muscle groups. Current medical guidelines advise 150 minutes of vigorous exercise every week as well as two strengthening exercises that work every muscle group. Yoga is one of the few exercises that achieves this total body workout without any fancy equipment.
3. Calm the mind
Awareness of mental health is at an all-time high and yoga is a great way to calm the mind and boost self-esteem. By incorporating meditation into your yoga, you’ll be able to quieten the mind and process your thoughts and feelings more effectively.
Regular practice will also give you something to look forward to and a space in your daily routine when you are not fixated on your to-do list or work stress. Breathing work is a fantastic tool to prevent and treat anxiety attacks as well.
No matter your age, body type or fitness level, yoga is a fantastic option for taking up a new form of exercise.
- What you need to know about eating before bed - March 13, 2020
- Breath therapy is your trick to making it through the working day - March 13, 2020
- Osteopathy: What you need to know about osteopathic manipulation treatment - March 13, 2020
- Top 3 benefits of acupuncture - March 6, 2020
- 4 benefits of hot stone massage therapy - March 6, 2020
- Three reasons why drinking tea is good for you - March 6, 2020
- Heading on a long-haul flight? You’ll need a massage afterwards - January 31, 2020
- Three reasons for brides to get a spray tan before getting married - January 31, 2020
- Three things that can happen when you have excess earwax - January 2, 2020
- Three ways a medium can help you get back to normality when you’re in mourning - November 26, 2019