Fibromyalgia is a long term chronic pain syndrome, that sees sufferers struggle with severe aches and pains all over their body. Often treated with medication, many sufferers look to additional methods to help reduce their pain and lead a happier, healthier lifestyle. People with Fibromyalgia are often advised to exercise, but this can feel like an impossible task with stiff joints and sore muscles. That’s why yoga is the perfect practice. Here are just three of the benefits.
1. Reduces muscle tension
Yoga is a peaceful practice, that encourages deep breathing and flexibility. This can be really beneficial in helping you to relax and feel less tension. The ease of tension in your muscles can help reduce pain and the yoga poses encourage you to stretch out your muscles, which can stop them from seizing up. There are many different poses, and these can be adapted for those with restricted movement, so you don’t need to feel intimidated.
2. Helps mental health
One big issue for Fibromyalgia sufferers is mental health. Being in such pain so frequently can lead to depression and anxiety, and leave people feeling worn out and useless. Yoga is a fantastic way to boost your mood as it produces endorphins, which make you feel good. Yoga does not have to be strenuous but is enough to keep you active, which can lead to a more positive outlook and help you to feel accomplished.
3. Improves sleep quality
Poor sleep quality and pain are a vicious circle. You can’t sleep because you’re in pain and you’re in pain because you haven’t slept well. Yoga helps the body relax and the mind to stay calm which can enhance sleep quality immensely. Better sleep leads to a better mood and in many cases less pain, leading to an all round positive outcome.
If you’re considering yoga but don’t know where to start, you can look for classes and teachers to help. You don’t have to go at it alone and here at Healthy Pages our in depth directory can help you find the best place to start.
- How doing Zumba in a group keeps you healthy - August 19, 2019
- Three ways your eating habits could be affecting your sleep - August 11, 2019
- Spa days help couples to maintain a healthy relationship - August 4, 2019
- Three things you should do to prepare for getting a massage - July 15, 2019
- Reflexology during pregnancy – why you should go for it! - July 15, 2019
- 3 myths about using a personal trainer exposed - June 3, 2019
- How holistic therapy can help with chronic pain - June 3, 2019
- A nutritionist can help you gain weight the right way - May 14, 2019
- What are Australian Bush Flower Remedies and how can they help me? - May 13, 2019
- Cranial osteopathy in the treatment of anxiety and depression - April 11, 2019