reflexology treatment for cancer patient?

Discussion in 'Reflexology' started by ava, Jun 16, 2006.

1. ava

ava
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I vaguely recall that reflexology treatments are not a good idea when someone has cancer. My vague recollection is that reflexology is wonderfully stimulating, and hence is a contraindication for cancer... because of the risk of cells dislodging and travelling via the lymphatic system to lodge elsewhere. Thrombosis is a contraindication for a similar sort of reason - the risk of it dislodging as a result of reflexology treatment. I may be confusing the two, but I feel sure I read something about cancer being a contraindication.

I ask this question because a very dear friend of mine has cancer - liver, pancreas, spleen. His ex-wife has been encouraging him to have reflexology treatments. Plus the macmillan cancer trust offers reflexology treatments. I am now confused. I am not sure whether to recommend treatment to him... because he has so many tumours.

Do people here have opinions regarding treatments for cancer patients? I have done a quick web search for contraindications and I've not seen any mention of cancer.

Many thanks,

N

2. Binah

Binah
    Expand Collapse

RE: reflexology treatment for cancer patient?

Hi N

Many people who have cancer are offered reflexology - I believe the positive aspects of receiving reflexology outweigh the negatives. This is why it is offered now in many hospitals and hospices. The main thing to remember is to ask your friend to speak to their consultant prior to having a reflexology.
    It seems that the cancer is quite advanced - try a gentle treatment at least once or twice a week.

Luv Binahx

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. At One

At One
    Expand Collapse

Hello there N

I agree with Binah. Many cancer centres in the UK have therapists giving treatments to the patients, and a loving touch and a kind heart go a long way. Reflexology is also known to relax patients and can help them deal with pain, drug side effects, emotional stress and so on. A must for the carers too in my opinion. Hopefully your friend's consultant won't have any objections - I have given treatments to cancer patients in hospital and the consultants are all for it.

4. ava

ava
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Thanks to both of you. I've done a bit more digging online and it seems that cancer is a contraindication if it is untreated. That would explain why macmillan cancer trust offers it in hospitals - because clearly the cancer is receiving treatment, and the therapist can liase with the consultant.

"It seems that the cancer is quite advanced..."

I don't like to think of it that way. It is serious, but it is not terminal. I have complete faith in his ability to overcome it. I have been off work for nasty back problem, and he is coping so much better with the horrors of cancer treatment than I did with the first month of my back-pain.

I'll get back to him and suggest that he does consider a series of reflexology treatments. He goes into hospital for his chemo, but he is at home the rest of the time, so if he were to get reflexology treatments I believe he would go for a private (i.e. not affiliated with the hospital) reflexologist. Do you think that the reflexologists who work within/alongside the NHS would be better suited?

N x

5. At One

At One
    Expand Collapse

Hello N

You may find a suitable practitioner on the register here. The Association of Reflexologists has a directory on its website www.aor.org.uk and I've just had a little peek - there is a lady in Edinburgh if this is where your friend also lives, who has a lot of experience with working with people with cancer (we list our areas of special interest and knowledge in the director). You may also find that there are reflexologists who give treatments at the hospital where your friend is being treated, who will also have private practices or may even do home visits. It sounds as though your friends is doing well with his treatment, which is excellent. It is so good to stay positive.

If you friend doesn't fancy reflexology, he might enjoy Reiki or Spiritual Healing. There are lots of lovely therapies out there to be explored, and organisations such as Cancer BACUP would probably give some ideas on their websites. They have all sorts of fact sheets on nutrition, different kinds of cancers, what to expect from treatment etc. The Bristol Cancer Help Centre is also definitely worth a look as they are very keen on a holistic and natural approach to living with cancer (alongside conventional medical treatment of course).

Sorry to waffle on, I could talk all day on the subject! Hope some of this is useful and please do email me if you need anything else.

6. Akashall

Akashall
    Expand Collapse

Hi N,

I know a lot of reflexologists who have worked with cancer patients, it is extremely beneficial after chemo treatments;it helps with the pain and nausea which is often a side effect of the treatment and to help balance the body after the chemotherapy has done its job, so to speak. I wish your friend well but it seems they have a positive attitude which will make a difference.

A

7. ava

ava
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

[Siobhan] - How thoughtful of you to look for a therapist for my pal. He lives in West Sussex, I'm afraid... so the Edinburgh person is a bit too far! You mentioned spiritual healing, but my friend is really pushing the limit to contemplate reflexology, so I am sorry to say that I am certain he would not consider spiritual healing. But thank you for the suggestion. His ex-wife has been trying to get him to see a reflexologist - and I believe that it is her own therapist. I also suspect that this therapist will treat him in his own home.

[Akashall] - Thank you for your kind wishes for my friend, and for telling me that you know reflexologists who treat cancer patients. I am encouraged by this.

Indeed it would seem that I have been proven wrong - and that reflexology is safe and beneficial for cancer patients (if they are receiving treatment) and that I appear to have confused the cancer contraindication with something else.

Thanks everyone!

8. JadeRabbit

JadeRabbit
    Expand Collapse

Hi

Very quickly (I'm off out for lunch and I saw this thread), I live in West Sussex and have recently qualified with the IIR. I'd be very glad to help if I can. I'm looking to do some volunteer work at St Catherines Hospice in Crawley in their cancer unit.

I'll post something a bit more coherent later tonight.

Thanks