Pityriasis Rosea

Discussion in 'Skin, Hair & Nails' started by Angel, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

Hiya Everyone

A few weeks ago, my 12 year old son was diagnosed with Pityriasis Rosea

Apparently it takes a number of weeks to clear up, does anyone know exactly how long? My son has had to stop doing PE at school for fear of other students seeing this rash and teasing him about it.

Love Angel x

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. saffron

saffron
    Expand Collapse

RE: Pityriasis Rosea

hi

dont count on it going, especially if his immune system is low - my boyfriend had it for over 3 years !!

best thing you can do if you think his immune system is low, is dose him up wich echinacea and milk thistle or astragalus ( i do not know about giving these to children or what dosages to use for children - so best research that). but the only thing that will actually kill the fungus is belive it or not (and im very supprised that your coctor did not mention this) is selsun shampoo - the selenium is a poison to the fungus.

the following worked for my boyfriend:
    1. before bed, coat the affected area in neat selsun (if it is on his chest and back then you should also do the bits in between ie cover the entire torso and arms

2. in the morning wash it off and change bedding

repeat for 3 days then every two days 2 for 2 applications, then once after about 4 days. and if you find that it is ok to, use the remedies given earlier for a week before, throughout selsun treatment and for a week after.

good luck
    saffron

3. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

OMG![:eek:]3 Years.

I think I will take him back to see the doctor, all the doctor gave him was some cream to dab on the spot if it gets itchy.

My son has had to miss out on swimming and all sorts because of this. The doctor reasured us it is not contagious, but it does look really awful.

I have never heard of or seen Selsun shampoo. Is it easy to get hold of in England?

4. saffron

saffron
    Expand Collapse

selsun is the only "cure" that is known about and is available fron any pharmacy- its dandruff shampoo.

your doctor is absoulutly right - it is not contagious.

take care
    saffron

5. saffron

saffron
    Expand Collapse

oh yes, and buying selsun over the counter is cheaper than a perscription (unless perscriptions for children are free...) and you will need the large bottle.

if the doc did not tell you about selsun - he probably does not know... so he will probably poo hoo it !

if you have doubts just do a search for

pityriasis selsun

and you will find all the info you need including other "dosage" recommendations for the selsun.

i hope you son gets better soon
    saffron

6. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

HIya Saffron

Thanks so much for telling me about Selsun, I will go to Boots tomorrow and get him some. I am really annoyed that the doctor didn't give us any treatment for it.

Love Angel x

7. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

Hiya everyone

Just want to give you a heads up about my son's condition.

Boots wouldn't sell me the Selsun when I explained what it was for, they told me to take my son back to the doctor. So that night, while my son was in the shower, I told him to get a huge handful of Head & Shoulders (hell it treats dandruff which is a scalp condition) and rub it all over his rash.

Well a couple of days later the rash had reduced by half and week later had completly cleared up. Guess Head & Shoulders worked just as good huh.

Love Angel x

8. saffron

saffron
    Expand Collapse

thats great news angel - i bet your son is relieved!

saffron

9. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

He is, he had to miss out on a lot of days at the Swimming pool in the last school holidays.

Love Angel x

10. debbieroe1970

debbieroe1970
    Expand Collapse

Hi ,
    Ive just been diagnosed with pityriasis rosea after a week of battling with the GP for a diagnosis. No treatment given but was given a ray of hope by all the treatments you've recommended. In fact, ive just bought a bottle of head n shoulders (selsun not available). Im feeling pretty sorry for myself, very tired, ache and very spotty. I'll let you know how I get on.

Debbie

11. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

Hiya Debbie

Sorry to hear you have this too hun. I hope the head and shoulders shampoo works for you too. I made this post over a year ago and touch wood, my son is still clear of it.

Love Angel x

12. Smooky

Smooky
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I'm curious. I know Pityriasis versicolor is treated with selsun, because it is a yeast imbalance. I didn't think they used the same thing for pityriasis rosea, as I thought that it is caused by a virus and goes of its own accord, but antihistamines are soothing lotions can be applied to ease the complaint.

Smooky.:eek:

13. coach

coach
    Expand Collapse

My daughter was diagnosed with this several months ago. I have been trying to research this. The say its not contagious but after seeing it on my daughter, my other daughter has it off and on and so do I. We don't have it as bad as my 6 year old. I have Selsun at home and will try that starting tonight. This is the first time I found something that may help get rid of it. Thanks.

14. damndog

damndog
    Expand Collapse

To all who mentioned the use of Milk thistle in this forum - THANK YOU!
    Initially, the doctor diagnosed me with ringworm, since I only had the herald spot on my arm, and no indication of any further marks.
    The very next day, my whole body exploded in red, upheaved spots. I went back to the doctor, and he confirmed that this was indeed pityriasis rosea; and there is no medical cure for it, I just have to see it through....AAARRGGHH.
    Two weeks past, and the amount of spots, size and where is spread got worse. some reaching below my knees, and into my neck. Obviously, not acceptable!
    A lot of reading all over later, i found many people referring to the use of milk thistle. The herbal shop in bloemfontein also recommended this, as it will assist the liver in getting the "virus" out of my system ASAP. 3 weeks later, and it's gone. no marks, no trace (execpt for the ones on my lower torso, which came out last).
    I am so happy, and I do hope that whoever has the same problem tries it out!

15. Grace2008

Grace2008
    Expand Collapse

U.S. Pityriasis Victim

Hi All! I'm so glad I found this site! I've recently been diagnosed with P.R., but honestly think I might have had it for a good while before all the horrible bumps just ran themselves all over me. It started with blister like marks in my decolletage and the center of my back, so I too thought it was a fungus thing from sweating. Honestly, I was seriously freaking and thinking about not going in to work for a few days due to how strongly it had blown out a few days ago; it was that bad, even on my face. Anyway, I am going to try that dandruff shampoo, but about the milk thistle... how do you use it? How much? And, well, I have sensitive skin in the first place. Does anyone know if it is safe for me to use all over, even so? :confused: The P.R.'s calming itself down finally, but now it looks like I have dark blisters everywhere, from my shoulders to mid-thigh. Help! I can't graduate looking like this (college, that is).

P.S. I believe the big outburst was agrevated by the antibiotics I took just before they started to show. I had the early sinus symptoms and confused it with small sinus infection. Beware guys.

16. MISSglitter

MISSglitter
    Expand Collapse

why me

hi there guys and girls
    i have just realised that this is what i have this PITYRIASIS ROSEA. thank you for all your comments previously posted

can anyone give me any advice now that it has dissappeared from yourselves

its so humiliating and really itchy

any advice is helpful thank you so much

17. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

MissGlitter

Try washing your body in Head & Shoulders Shampoo, it contains selsun and it worked great for my son when he had it.

Angel d

18. MISSglitter

MISSglitter
    Expand Collapse

thank you so much Angel

i have bought soem head and shoulders and applied some last night for the first time

thanks for your help its so nice to not have o feel alone in this:rolleyes:

19. marcus15

marcus15
    Expand Collapse

I just got diagnosed with it. Ive had it for about 5 days. So head & shoulders really works?

My doctor just told me to take anihystemines and gave me a coroterzone cream for the itching.

What type of Head & Shoulders? And what do you do with it? Just wash your body with it?

20. marcus15

marcus15
    Expand Collapse

Hi sorry to keep posting but just let me explain the situation.

Ive got a very important thing next Monday and basically this has come up at the worst possible time. So basically I need the rash to be as faded as possible by Monday.

Now today I bought some Selsun with Selenium SUlphide and some Head & Shoulders. What should I do?

Should I use both? Or is the Selsun better? It says it has 2.5% Selenium Sulphide.

And if I use the Selsun, should I apply it (rub it in) or just wash with it?

Basically I need to get my skin as good as possible by Monday. Please any help would be great!