Dry Skin on Feet

Discussion in 'Skin, Hair & Nails' started by kaz310, Jul 1, 2006.

1. kaz310

kaz310
    Expand Collapse

How can I keep my feet looking lovely this summer. They are dry & have flaky skin all round the heels & edges of my feet. The soles aren't too bad! I don't always have time to pamper myself, (I have a 21 month old son!). Any advice welcome, thanks guys.....Kaz xx[&:]

2. calla lily

calla lily
    Expand Collapse

RE: Dry Skin on Feet

hi kaz [sm=wave.gif]

what i would suggest ( and actually do !) is that every night before you go to bed, liberally rub either any cream that contains shea butter or apply on the affected areas flexitol heel balm and thenput on some bedsocks.

every week, soak your feet in warm soapy water for about 15 mins and use a foot file or a pumice stone to slough away the dead skin.

finally, walking barefoot or a stroll along a sandy beach are also good ways to encourage the dead skin to come off:D

warm wishes- calla lily x

3. Jabba The Hut

Jabba The Hut
    Expand Collapse
    Therapist

I second everything Calla Lily recommends - I used to get dreadful, and painful, cracks in the skin on my heels and big toes, but since using coconut oil (available dead cheap from Boots - in solid form) everynight, plus a pair of cotton socks, my feet are 'lovely'!!! Now, if I could just apply the same stuff to my neck and face, and sleep with a bag over my head.........

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Trinityx

Trinityx
    Expand Collapse

[sm=rollaugh.gif][sm=rollaugh.gif][sm=rollaugh.gif]

Tx

5. Guinevere

Guinevere
    Expand Collapse

I agree about shea butter.......coconut oil is also really good. Also, for alternate baths, I add a capful of extra virgin olive oil and it's a marvellous moisturiser for the skin-including feet!

6. Jabba The Hut

Jabba The Hut
    Expand Collapse
    Therapist

I spent a night in hospital courtesy of cleaning myself with olive oil!!! I was sharing a digs with a girl from India, and she taught me how to do a salt/oil body scrub. I did as instructed (palm full of ground sea salt covered with olive oil) treating myself from head to toe with about a pint of oil. I then got into the bath and lay in the warmth feeling really smug, while the water 'rinsed' me off. I stood up, and let the water out while I dried myself - when I lifted my right foot to put in on the side of the bath to dry it, my left foot slipped on the residual oil in the bottom of the bath and I fell arse over apex, crashing into the bathroom door!! I knocked myself out, and wascarted to hospital by two hysterical (with laughter!) housemates. The nurses in A&E were impressed with the softness of my skin!!

7. Guinevere

Guinevere
    Expand Collapse

:D:):D:)

8. Gussie

Gussie
    Expand Collapse

Jabba - I bet that wasn't part of the health warnings on the box!!

9. songstress

songstress
    Expand Collapse

Yep, coconut oil, shea butter, olive oil - all that stuff. I use Boots thick foot lotion, and Scholl's 'Pretty Feet.' I visit the Scholl chiropodist every two months, just to keep the hard skin down and to check for any problems. Our feet are so important. I used to suffer with terrible backache, until the chiropodist discovered that I needed arch supports. My back still aches, but not as much since I've been using them.

Kaz, if you can get to a Scholl chiropodist I highly recommend them. The current cost of a single chiropody treatment is £32.

Love,
    Patsy.
    :D

10. songstress

songstress
    Expand Collapse

Sorry Kaz, if you constantly wear backless shoes or slingbacks, this encourages hard skin to form around the heels and edges of feet. Best to wear shoes, which enclose the foot. So the chiropodist told me.

Love,
    Patsy.
    xxxxxx

11. annier

annier
    Expand Collapse

Just been to thechiropodist this am. I go once every 8 weeks and it costs 30.00 Euro.
    I would highly recommend this.

Also use the sock and moisturiser method regularly before bed. You can buy these socks from Bliss - but i found them to be very expensive.

annie

12. Danaeh

Danaeh
    Expand Collapse

rub castor oil onto your feet. This is the best!:)

13. Podiatry1

Podiatry1
    Expand Collapse

In regards to safety, it is very important when putting any oil or creams on the foot that you remember the feet are now slippery and don't run to answer the phone and fall down and injure yourself seriously.

I would reiterate the poster who recommends visiting the Chiropodist or Podiatrist ( Podiatrist is the new word for Chiropody and is gradually replacing the word )
    For the sake of 30 pounds it is well worth it.

14. sharontealady

sharontealady
    Expand Collapse

Hi Kaz,

I get the same thing every summer. I've found the only thing that gets rid of it for me is Olive Magic: [link=http://www.olivemagic.com]http://www.olivemagic.com[/link]. Ithas only olive oil and beeswax and smells mildlyof beeswax. I can't recommend this stuff enough. I even use it on my face and it doesn't make me break out. Amazing.

Sharon

15. kaz310

kaz310
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Can I just ask Sharon about the Olive magic cream, how much does it cost to ship to the UK & how long does it take?

Thanks

16. joblackcat

joblackcat
    Expand Collapse

Hi Kaz and everyone else!

Don't ever be tempted to spray hot tired feet with deodorant and then try to walk down the stairs! The deodorant forms a nice slippy surface on the soles of the feet causing them to slip off the top stair and the rest of my body to follow!

No-one would take a photo of the thick black band that appeared quickly across the base of my back and all across my bottom!!! [sm=nuts.gif] My ex-husbands first comment was to do with his golf clubs which were at the bottom of the stairs!!!

I now live in a bungalow so don't have the problem any more!!! [sm=1syellow1.gif]

Jo x

17. VitaGirl

VitaGirl
    Expand Collapse

Rough skin onyour feet can signal serious nutritional deficiencies! [:-]

Cracked feet and heels...your body lacks the essential fatty acids it needs...Organic Flaxseed oil,
    one tablespoon daily or find a good capsule form...10-12 weeks before you may see any changes! In some cases it may be necessary to add zinc!

Calluses along theedge of the heel mark a deficiency in Vitamin A ( not betacarotene)
    It may take 10-12 weeks so be patient...:)

and do the topical recommendations...

18. CathMax

CathMax
    Expand Collapse

the things we do for the sake of beauty your story had me in stitches[sm=rollaugh.gif][sm=rollaugh.gif][sm=rollaugh.gif][sm=rollaugh.gif][sm=rollaugh.gif][sm=rollaugh.gif][sm=rollaugh.gif][sm=rollaugh.gif][sm=rollaugh.gif][sm=rollaugh.gif]

19. Jazzzy

Jazzzy
    Expand Collapse

Hi Kaz,
    my tip is to use Aveda's foot cream. I used to have the same problem with me feet. Wearing sandals during summer did not help. I found this tip at
    http://www.realself.com/which_came_first_the_strappy_sandle_or_the_pedicure.html
    and I have to say it realy works. I like all the Aveda products. They smell just great and it's all organic.
    Look at http://www.aveda.com/ for their products.
    Good luck with that

20. kaz310

kaz310
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone for your useful tips & advice. I have found another product called 'Egyptian Magic Cream'. Bit pricey, but full of natural ingredients, like beewax, olive oil, bee pollen, Royal jelly. If anyone's interested I got it from [link=http://www.egyptianmagic.com]www.egyptianmagic.com[/link] @ £25. Seems to be working for my feet, hands, anywhere really!!