Can anyone recommend a free website?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Anne Mary, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Anne Mary

Anne Mary
    Expand Collapse

I am looking for a free website to publish my health-and-food blog, which has been going on 'blogger' for some years. It is not really a blog but deals with various health-and-food issues, so it would be better off on a general website. That way people can more easily search for a subject.
    A search for ‘free websites’ gives plenty of possibilities, but a recommendation would be nice. Don’t know where to start!

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. *FallenAngel*

*FallenAngel*
    Expand Collapse

I think wordpress, 'com' at the end, is free. (I can't post links yet). However, you might want to think about if you want to advertise in the future as I think there are restrictions regarding what you're able to upload and the plugins you can use which allow you to add things to the site.

I use wordpress, with 'org' at the end. It does mean I pay for my domain name/hosting but it gives me more freedom.

No reason why you couldn't start with wordpress 'com' if you didn't want to pay right now. You could transfer it over to wordpress 'org' later I think but I'd recommend getting someone who knew what they were doing to sort that out!

There is also 'blogger' but I'm not sure if that's free?

3. Anne Mary

Anne Mary
    Expand Collapse

Thank you Angel, you can't have fallen too deep! As it happens I am currently using 'blogger', the free version (ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com), but I want to make it possible for people to search by subject, whereas on blogger they can only see the date of posting. My son advised me to find a proper website, rather than a blog setup. Hence my question.
    As it happens I did find a site which recommends and compares free websites and am trying out what they say is the best one: wix. It's not easy, trying to work out how things work when you're not used to it .... I wish my son was here to sit by my side!

*FallenAngel* likes this.
  4. *FallenAngel*

*FallenAngel*
    Expand Collapse

Have a look at my website if you want to see an example of how a word press site could be set up. It's fallen angel fitness with a .co afterwards :)

I've heard of Wix and Weebly as well :)

5. Anne Mary

Anne Mary
    Expand Collapse

Excellent website Angel!!
    Myself, I'm the opposite. Eating quite sensibly, but always a bit too much (lots, a while ago!). Life is not worth living without food.
    Have commented on your mindfulness blog.

*FallenAngel* likes this.
  6. *FallenAngel*

*FallenAngel*
    Expand Collapse

Thank you Anne Mary :)